Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Manual Scripting Tools

I've looked through the search engines but can't find any reference to this. Are there any discussions on manual scripting tools in this system? What search terms should I be using if I have failed to find them?

Sorry for the rather idiotic question.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Manual Scripting Tools

What do you want to script? There are a bunch of scripting languages, and there are tools to help you use (some of) those languages.

NMI (Need More Information).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

You may want to have a look at Compuware's QADirector product... it has a manual test feature where you can write scripts for your manual testers to execute.

Then they can add their findings into the tool and even provide a pass/fail response. It's not an overly-advertised feature, but it is in there.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by broop:
    You may want to have a look at Compuware's QADirector product... it has a manual test feature where you can write scripts for your manual testers to execute.

Then they can add their findings into the tool and even provide a pass/fail response. It's not an overly-advertised feature, but it is in there.

Good luck!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">That's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for. I want to get a team of manual testers to produce standardised scripts, and preferablyto speed up the process of scripting.

I hope that explains things a bit more clearly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Personally I use MS Word when I write scripts - detailed steps - for manual testing. I know people also use MS Excel.
    Lynne

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" --Thomas Edison

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

There's also Mercury's TestDirector/Quality Center. It's a multifunction Test Case repository which is extremely flexible.
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by Accountancy Tester:
    That's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for. I want to get a team of manual testers to produce standardised scripts, and preferablyto speed up the process of scripting.

I hope that explains things a bit more clearly.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Based on your requirements, it sounds like e-Manager Enterprise from Empirix is worth a try.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Would templates do the job for you? You can get some at the Downloads link on the left of the page and they're free.

For what you pay to get something, you might be able to spend the same or less on labor to do the organizing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by SteveC:
    Would templates do the job for you? You can get some at the Downloads link on the left of the page and they're free.

For what you pay to get something, you might be able to spend the same or less on labor to do the organizing.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">We will have to go with templates if we don't go for a scripting tool. However I'm not sure that templates are enough. To quote IBM (who do have an interest in this) :

</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">The need to constantly scroll horizontally and vertically makes these methods inefficient and difficult to use.
    The typically wide formats of Excel spreadsheets or Word tables and the need to reproduce headings on each page make it difficult to print reports.
    It's hard to organize scripts by grouping testing steps.
    There's no standard way to identify expected results within test scripts.
    There's no standard way to report test results.
    It's hard or impossible to reuse test script lines or groups of lines in different test scripts.</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I know this sounds rather dim, but what is the industry standard term for this software?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast