Thread: QA position

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

QA position

I started as a volunteer in a small company as a Junior QA Egnineer 28h/ week. The company is very far from me as well. Ive been here for almost a month and Im suppose to do it for four months. So, after a month working I found out I'm doing the same thing over and over. Just clicking and cheking the web-applications very detail and posting the error. Tha'ts all I do. Is this what a QA engineer does?.
    I'm getting inpatient. I really wanna ask my boss to give me so money. What should I do?.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: QA position

Finish out the four months, call it experience, put it on your resume and look for the next job.

In the meantime, ask the boss to pick up your expenses, at least, while away from home.

If it is checking a web application, it is internet or intranet? If internet, you can do the testing from home.

To answer the other question: no, this is not all a QA Engineer does, but it is what a manual tester does. Testing is only one small part of QA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I guess the other question to ask is - what was the job description you were given when you took the job?

But in QA there are many types of testing, this is just one of them.
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

gongxia649

Welcome to the real world - most jobs especially at the beginning while we are learning consist of a lot of repetition. You are responsible for adding your own interest - some of the above posts should help with that.

You also have a valuable lesson so that you think more about accepting or doing something in the future.

I would recommend that you complete the time and try to use it well. Even if only for the fact it will stand better for you on your resume and in future job interviews.

You can also use travel time to relax, listen to books, if you are not driving read newspapers and books - look at it as time you can indulge yourself not as time lost.
    Lynne

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" --Thomas Edison

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by MArk B.:
    It sounds like you are only doing positive testing. Try negative testing. In general, try to break the app.

Click the back button.
    Click the refresh button.
    Click the stop button.
    Leave the app sitting open and unused for an extended period of time.
    Do things before the app is ready.
    Do boundary testing.
    Try to hack into the server.
    Enter HTML and SQL into the text boxes.
    Click the apps buttons lots of times real fast.
    Research the code behind the application.
    Does it use cookies? If so, eat them.
    Make suggestions on how the application can be improved.
    Learn how to do a really good job writing up a bug.
    Surf the web to find and read sites like this one.

Make more of it than it is and have some fun with it.

MArk B.
    Don't forget to try public transportation and car pooling!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">how do you hack into the server?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

On second thought, before you try to break the app and do bad things to it, make sure this is a test environment and not production ;-).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hacks are achieved through weaknesses in the design of the software. There are too many ways to explain. For instance, if the application is jsp based and has an option to upload files, try uploading a .jsp page and then navigating to that page in your browser. If you can run a .jsp (or asp, php, etc) page out of their web directory, you can do really evil things with the user permissions of whatever user the application is running under. If there is some backend process to your application operating on a TCP/IP port, connect to that port with a terminal client and send it some garbage and see what it does.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Do what you are required to do. ... and then do more. Find other ways you can test the application. Write up separate reports showing what you have done beyond your required job description.

What happens when you have 2 browsers on the same computer browsing the application?

Concurrency testing, open 2 browsers and click various links at the same time and see if the right results come back.

Security testing. Can you enter javascript in the edit boxes? I was once able to lock up our whole sales order application by using some history.back javascript for my company name. Everytime they'd log in, it would boot them right back to the login screen :-D.

A good tester goes beyond the tests that are required and thinks of ways to break the application. The best way to improve your job is to do it yourself and show your management how your new activities are improving the product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

It sounds like you are only doing positive testing. Try negative testing. In general, try to break the app.

Click the back button.
    Click the refresh button.
    Click the stop button.
    Leave the app sitting open and unused for an extended period of time.
    Do things before the app is ready.
    Do boundary testing.
    Try to hack into the server.
    Enter HTML and SQL into the text boxes.
    Click the apps buttons lots of times real fast.
    Research the code behind the application.
    Does it use cookies? If so, eat them.
    Make suggestions on how the application can be improved.
    Learn how to do a really good job writing up a bug.
    Surf the web to find and read sites like this one.

Make more of it than it is and have some fun with it.

MArk B.
    Don't forget to try public transportation and car pooling!
    If you're a slave to your free associations, does it automatically become something else?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

thanks for your response guys. ill try to finish up my vol job and see if i can find a full time.
    thanks agian

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast