Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Reasons why its better to be a Tester?

Recently, Jeanj posted an article from the SD Times website for discussion in the White Papers and Article Forums:

Improving Software Quality - Lindsey Vereen

Inside the article, was a discussion box, "Entitled 8 reasons why its better to be a tester than a developer"

I think our community can come up with better reasons than what's listed!!

Looking forward to reading your responses. I am currently trying to formulate one of my own!
    JRicardo
    Senior SQA Analyst

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Reasons why its better to be a Tester?

My 5 reasons

1) The challenge of working in a "team". I like working with people from different disciplines and working towards a common goal (shipping). I like having my individualism meld into the team. Working on communication and organizational skills.

2) "Breaking" software. I started as a developer and moved into testing because I was better at debugging and doing things to software to see if I could make it fail. The "what if" approach.

3) Wearing different hats during the project. While still being in Test I get to wear different hats/roles during the SDLC. Early on it is as an analyst to do requirements review, during design/coding it is an engineer doing design reviews/code reviews, during testing it is a tester and automator, and during delivery it is an implementor of the product (implementation and support).

4) Automation, as it keeps me up on my developer skills and mindset along with the innate tester.

5) Uniqueness of being in a test position. To this day (18 years later) it is still a niche type of work and one that can be personally satisfying when you are part of something good (like a good product). Even with all the BS involved there are times when the "ends justify the means".

Of course after 18 years of doing this type of work I can just be really warped. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Jim
    Jim
    -------------------------------------------
    For all the general stuff to know about QA/Test go here http://www.softwareqatest.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Getting to hang out with a bunch of Geeks like you Guys!

Pointing out faults with other peoples stuff!

Getting to yell every once in a while, "This Builds Broken!"

Getting to catch up on sleep in those endless meetings.

If it's broken, it's broken, I don't have to lose any sleep worrying about why it's broken.

Getting to say, I didn't break it, I just discovered it was broken!

Pertempto Ergo Sum! (I test therefor I am)!
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

1. Requirement for both a depth of knowledge and for broad brush, yet remaining relatively platform free.
    2. None of that catch-up with latest version of language hassle. As a developer, leave a language alone for a year and it's almost like starting over!
    3. As a result of no required myopia, people relations are a requisite skill. And I love to spout on (as opposed to venting)! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    4. Learning curve learning curve learning curve. Nothing is so boring as doing things by rote!

To make up the 8, repeat the above list twice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I agree with all the reasons stated above!

My favorite one though - is I get point out that something is broken and I am not responsible for fixing it!!!

Though, I must confess - sometimes, I long to be the one writing the business requirements - telling people what I want done, not caring how it gets done, and expecting it to be completely done without any mistakes, within an unreasonable period of time......
    JRicardo
    Senior SQA Analyst