Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

query from a non-CSE background person

Hello!!

This question is for all those who are in Software Testing Field.

How secure is Software Testing field

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: query from a non-CSE background person

Guaranteed perpetual jobs as long as humans are programming programmable devices and programmable devices aren't obsoleted.

What is not guaranteed - the pay!

[ 06-11-2005, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: JakeBrake ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

In addition to JakeBrake's comments, the location of the roles is not a given and the style and manner of QA/Test involvement may also change depending on the continued evolution in development approaches and technologies. Also the context of the individual tester and the applicability of their skill set to that context has a bearing. Overall software testing remains viable as a career for another decade, however it may not be the same career then as it is now. Predicting the future is not easy and is often inaccurate.
    ------
    Regards,
    Neill McCarthy
    Agile Testers of the World UNIT!

For more contextual Musings visit http://www.testingreflections.com/ and now at http://www.sqablogs.com/neillmccarthy/
    ---

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

what is the infrastructure of a software team.How many developers and how many testers are there.

I have so many queries as i am planning for a career change (software testing is what i like )so before going into this field...i want to get a clear picture in mind.

What are the reponsibilities of a software tester?
    Are they kept in the team on permanent or on contract basis?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

MSEtoCSE, all of these result in it depends answers, it is different in most places and there is no single answer or a clear picture for the industry as a whole.
    Responsibilities of a software tester, usually cover testing software as provided, how this is done will vary across contexts as will the goals of the testing and the detailed responsabilities associated with the role. Testers can be permanent or contract.
    ------
    Regards,
    Neill McCarthy
    Agile Testers of the World UNIT!

For more contextual Musings visit http://www.testingreflections.com/ and now at http://www.sqablogs.com/neillmccarthy/
    ---

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

MSEtoCSE - where in the world are you located? The general trend in the US is for testers to be contract and brought in on a project basis. That has led to a lot of off-shoring.

Notice I said general trend. There are pockets where you will find permanent QC staff.

If you are permanent staff, you will generally shuttle from project to project. You can not expect to be a QC person on the same project for your career. That is about the only certainty there is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

What is helping the QA field is Sarbanes Oxley, or Sox. The financial data must be correct.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by Darrel Damon:
    The general trend in the US is for testers to be contract and brought in on a project basis.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Definitely true. Which is frustrating because the rates are all over the low end of the board and because of the glut (not shortage) of people wanting to do this type of work (it's easy, anybody can do it) the rates really aren't negotiable.

Not that I ever got 'fat' off of the Dot Com craze (I avoided it because I had already been through all the B.S. before with DOS and C/S). But now I'm getting squeezed to go below what would be considered a resonable rate even in this economy. It is still and employers market in the U.S.

Jim
    Jim
    -------------------------------------------
    For all the general stuff to know about QA/Test go here http://www.softwareqatest.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by jimhazen:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Originally posted by Darrel Damon:
    The general trend in the US is for testers to be contract and brought in on a project basis.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Definitely true. Which is frustrating because the rates are all over the low end of the board and because of the glut (not shortage) of people wanting to do this type of work (it's easy, anybody can do it) the rates really aren't negotiable.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Tell me about it. I have to contend with a low pay and because I'm not fulltime a huge hassle to get a consulting firm to sponsor my work visa!
    (I'm hiring Software Development Engineers in Test in Seattle, WA)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I've been doing this in startups and established companies for about 10 years, networking definitely helps. As well as never making enemies at your work, even if you don't really like the people, cause you may end up with them again. There are two or three managers I know who I have worked with time and time again, although my area of the East Coast of the US has many companies around still so there are a fair number of perm jobs and contracts.

- M
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout