Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Industry Best Practices

Hi,

I am looking for some information about "Industry Best Practices in QA - Quality Assurance". I am not able to find any information online regarding the best practrices. Please let me know if you know any sites or white papers. I have a PPT presentation in a day or so.

Any help will be greatly appreciated [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Faisal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Industry Best Practices

Have you tried a search in this forum - there is quite a lot of information
    Lynne

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" --Thomas Edison

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

First of all there is no such thing as an Industry Wide Best Practice. There may be a Best Practice for your company or department, but as you are most likely aware, QA exists in many and varied industries and hence no one solution fits all. There are Better Practices or methodologies and many of these can be found on www.stickyminds.com Plus you can always do a search in the upper right-hand corner of the page for, cough, cough, "best practices" and get a lot of info.
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for your responses, am new this form & also this is my first day at this company. A director ask me to do a PPT on "Industry Best Practices for QA"

I did give him a idea some thing like:
    Have a Strategy/Plan >> Overview/Scope/Risk & Assumptions/Test Management Phases/Test Reports/QA Environment/Defect Tracking.

He didn't like that so that why I had to hit the web to find some stuff [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Thanks
    Faisal

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

qafasi33

99 times out of a 100 when such a person asks for this its because they want to wear it as a badge of honour..... "We are industry best practice!".

You have two choices, set up some very effective lip service processes and practices which you claim are Industry best practice, or you could go on a bench marking exercise.

Personally I hate the term as it seems to have no meaning. What you are better to do is read up some white papaers on QA / Productivity / process Re-engineering and see if there is ideas that may work for your organisation.
    Robert Tehve
    rtehve@bigpond.com

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by qafasi33:
    Thanks for your responses, am new this form & also this is my first day at this company. A director ask me to do a PPT on "Industry Best Practices for QA"

I did give him a idea some thing like:
    Have a Strategy/Plan >> Overview/Scope/Risk & Assumptions/Test Management Phases/Test Reports/QA Environment/Defect Tracking.

He didn't like that so that why I had to hit the web to find some stuff [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Thanks
    Faisal
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">You are in for a world of hurt then. You have a situation where the Director is looking for a silver bullet, and you will get shot with it.

You will need to "educate" this person about what QA (and Test) is in regards to Software. Short of it is this: QA is an overall process that involves different tasks/activities (Audit, Standards&Procedures, Metrics, Risk Management, Configuration Management (SCM), and etc. in addition to Testing) that "ALL" persons involved with the project must buy in to and support. Testing is a "tool" to validate and verify, it is NOT QA.

You will need to determine what their perception and expectations are for the "QA" function. Typically they believe it is just testing, it is so much more. Good luck, you will need it.

Jim

-----------------
    Been there, done that more than I want to admit
    Jim
    -------------------------------------------
    For all the general stuff to know about QA/Test go here http://www.softwareqatest.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Sounds like you'll have to "appeal to authority" to appease him. Often, I have to present white papers and articles...written by others...that describe what I've been saying all along. The fact that it came from an "industry professional" as opposed to me (I've been in QA nearly 13 years), makes it somehow more valid.

The frontpage of todays slashdot has an article that might be of some use: http://news.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=221572005

However, there are better resources.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Damian Synadinos

Also its has to come from an academic institution or someone associated with such as how could anyone with real experience come up with an effective method of working !..... must be a wonderful life sitting around writing white papers all day.

Or the white papaer has to based on a blue chip company such as IBM who from my one and only experience of them were one of the worst vendors I have dealt with.

Industry best practice indeed...... I would prefer the term to be Industry Best Self Promotion.
    Robert Tehve
    rtehve@bigpond.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Robert,
    Do I detect a note of disdain there? Too bad but you are right. Academia is probably the worst thing that ever happened to QA. Each academic group leader writes a paper or book on such & such and expects the world to stop turning until his light shines upon it and the entire testing society accepts and adopts the concepts from the book. And then the subordinate disciples all quote from the book until hell freezes over without ever questioning the purpose or the logic behind the process. Plus if the QA demigod tries to justify its knowledge by showing that it had so much experience in the field that the field just could not contain it any more, the facts are usually that their experience was in the days of the solenoid, or vacuum tube, or the Neolithic era when mainframes roamed the earth unchallenged.

Rant over!

Sorry.
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

If you've been asked for a PPT presentation, you're going to have to produce a PPT presentation, and our opinions don't really matter.

If it were me, I'd consider the following:

Test Strategy
    Test Plan
    Risk Management
    Test Management
    Test Development
    Testing
    Defect Management
    Status Reporting
    Metrics
    Automated processes

Each of those categories has a microcosm of recognized "best practices", meaning techniques that have worked for other companies and might work for yours as well. Depending on how long your presentation needs to be, you might be able to start with the above, giving a brief description of each concept, and schedule a series of PPTs in the future to cover each area separately. That would give you time to assess your current company, review the activity, and determine what processes will, or will not, be of benefit to your organization. For example, test management and testing are handled quite differently in formal, "V-Model" shops, as opposed to informal, "XP" shops. You could, during the course of your presentation, also bring up the fact that industry standards are merely guidelines and need to be customized for each organization in order to be effective.

- Linda

- Linda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast