Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

About CSTE,Does it mean you reach high level at testing?

How do you consider CSTE,I am not an american, and I am preparing for this exam,I want to know whether it means that you have reached high level at testing if you pass the exam, what does it mean if you have the certification at abroad,who can give me some advice for it, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: About CSTE,Does it mean you reach high level at testing?

It means that you have largely grasped the body of knowledge if you passed the exam. That is all it means. Some of what it does not mean:

1) that you can apply it.
    2) that in many projects where you may not have the opportunity to apply it in total - that despite that, you can survive the project chaos and still deliver what is required of you.
    3) instant expert.

Is the CSTE worth it? Probably. It does give you common knowledge and puts you on common knowledge-par with many people in this business.

[ 02-24-2005, 05:45 AM: Message edited by: jpensyl ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I agree with Jim. To me it means that you can study, remeber, and pass a test. But it does not speak to your experience as most certifations can not do.

"Just because you test software does not mean you are a good tester"!
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

CSTE without experience is just another entry level tester in my book. However, I do believe that the certification has merit. Personal growth in one's field of choice is a good thing.

I have seen folks obtain this (or other equally prestigous certifications) and be useless in their job - even people with experience. It still depends on the person and the environment. Someone in QA who is an obstructionist will be so whether they have the designation or not (I have seen one too many of those types - they don't really add much value, but can gripe a long time about something being wrong without ever providing an example of what would be right).

I must be careful - some opinions might slip out!

On the other hand, I know of folks who have grown to where they needed the certification to take their next step on the career ladder. It is cool to watch a trained professional work their trade.

In closing, it is never bad to get the credentials that accompany education. They should never be mistaken for ability - one has to prove their ability imho.
    Michael L. Hovan
    mrschovan@verizon.net