SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Damned if you do, damned if you don\'t

This weeks (2/7/2005) article over on StickyMinds.com is a good one. It is called "Suffering for Success", and Linda Hayes makes some good points.

So how many of you have been penalized for "just doing your job".

Jim
    Jim
    -------------------------------------------
    For all the general stuff to know about QA/Test go here http://www.softwareqatest.com/

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Damned if you do, damned if you don\'t

jimhazen

People who go about there job with minimal fuss are generally the life blood of an organisation. Many organisations do not know how to reward such people, they expect you to squark and flap your arms around to get attention.
    Robert Tehve
    rtehve@bigpond.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Her article is spot on. Unfortunately, most of the companies I've worked for use the exact methods she describes to measure their test/QA personel. What's is unfortunate is that, in that kind of environment, the best testers, the testers who know what they are doing, are often left looking the worst, because they appear to be going against the grain of the company.

ahem... at least I'd like to think I knew what I was doing...ahem. lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I know where Linda is coming from, she and I have some experience in common. Let's just say that some companies have a knack of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] I worked on a Certify implementation and I had to go through some tests to find the most appropriate way of deploying the tool, with the intent of seeing which approach to recommend. I developed a data-driven strategy by using a Certify action script to drive high-level dialog scripts based on directions contained in a recordset. The result was at least a 90% level of reduction in overall cost of testing (in a large part due to virtually eliminating script editing and maintenance costs). While putting the final touches on the methodology and writing up proper guidelines for others to follow, the client more or less walked away from the solution and as the result the QA department ceased to exist. People cannot see the forest for the trees, and they do make stupid decisions more often thatn not.
    Frits Bos, PMP
    frits_bos@hotmail.com