Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Open Source and quality

We are a group of four students from the Department of Computer Science, Aalborg University, Denmark. We are working on our Master's
    thesis on Open Source Development. The aim of the project is to explore Open Source development and how quality assurance can be used in this context.

We have read some literature on the subject, and we have come up with the following questions we want to research.

1. Which opportunities does OSS provide for the software development process?

The aim of answering this question is to explore what companies will obtain by developing Open Source Software. In order to answer the question we will take a practical perspective by contacting a company that develops Open Source software.

2. How can you make quality assurance when developing in the context of Open Source?

This part is included because of our interest in quality assurance. The aim of this question it to help kill some of the myths established about Open Source like; "if software is free, it cannot be as good quality as software you pay for".

We are posting this message in the hope that it will start a debate on the topics of our project. We would like to hear your thoughts about this subject; have you worked with quality assurance in a Open Source project? How was it? If not, do you thing it is possible?

Please note that if you join the debate you should keep in mind that you might be quoted in our project. If you do not want you name
    posted in the report just say so and you will be anonymous.

Thanks in advance

Tomas Norre Mikkelsen,
    Department of computer science,
    Aalborg University, Denmark

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Open Source and quality

The aim of this question it to help kill some of the myths established about Open Source like; "if software is free, it cannot be as good quality as software you pay for".
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">How do you know this is a "myth" and not (at least generally) the truth? My experience in using open source software suggests that it is not an either/or situation in any case: I have had experience using both high quality and low quality OSS. So I guess what I am saying is, beware trying to find only "proof" that OSS can "be as good as software you pay for," but also examine instances where it is not as good. Then the really useful information from your studies might be why certain OSS projects turn out well while others do not.
    web site | [url=http://www.ebookworm.us/[/url]

[i]...Sound trumpets! Every trumpet in the host! / Sixty thousand, on these words, sound, so high the mountains sound, and the valleys resound.&lt;/i] (The Song of Roland)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The myth he states is: "it cannot be as good quality as software you pay for". I think this is indeed a myth. It doesn't mean it will always be as good quality, but it most certainly CAN be.

Note: this is a duplicate thread from another forum.. more discussion going on in the Quality Methodologies.
    Corey Goldberg
    Homepage: goldb.org
    Twitter: twitter.com/cgoldberg
    Google+: gplus.to/cgoldberg

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

tomasnm

The project I am working on now has many open source components. Its an Oracle Application running on a Rack Clustered Red Hat Linux environement.

The issue with open source is the proof. In Australia we are one of few sites with such an environement and it is a significant operation.

Not that I am opposed to open source thinking, but there seems to be a fair level of cost shifting when dealing with open source software. Proven closed source commercial solutions have more costs up front as opposed to open source solutions which will require more nursing to make work.

It really comes down to the culture within your organisation to make either path work.

As far as the development cycle goes, employing open source tools you often run into limitations and complexity in use. It is arguable to which is a cheaper approach, a zero cost tool with many man hours versus a commercially proven tool with high up front cost and efficency in use.

Sorry, my experience is that generally if it is free it will not be as good. You have to analyse the gap to determine if Opensource is in fact cheaper in the long run.
    Robert Tehve
    rtehve@bigpond.com