Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Japan QA vs. USA QA - Why!? why!?? why!???

-
    -
    Why is the following true:

If US companies are not doing QA in Japan; yet they port out their apps for Japan and market them here

If they are not doing QA locally in Japan then it is CRAP; and they might as well forget it!!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Quote from a famous friend of mine; always screaming about US QA [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

No. But in reality it is partially true.
    The stuff you guys send over here is so danm buggy I wonder if QA even exists stateside!!!

Is there anyone on the other side that deals with Japan and QA related issues? Is it difficult? What do you see as the problem?

I think its pure laziness.
    (No offense intended) [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[ 09-21-2004, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: westsan ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Japan QA vs. USA QA - Why!? why!?? why!???

It sounds to me like you've exposed a golden opportunity to put Japan back on top as an economic power.

If your friend can back up his assertion by delivering superior well-tested products that meets customer needs, world markets will again rush to purchase Japanese products and force the "CRAP" manufacturers in the US (and elsewhere) to mend their ways.

Until then, all he has is a "screaming" opinion and a "laziness" of his own if he doesn't act on it.

(none taken, BTW)

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hey, tell your famous friend that our qa is being done offshore in the opposite direction, we are just the middle men!

Just joking, but there may be some sense in it.

Rich
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hmm... Interesting, this discussion has cropped up again. I remember years ago (1988-1992) that this was a major hot topic. In '88 I took a class on SQA from Dr. Ed Miller (Software Research Inc) and he had just gotten back from Japan teaching Hitachi Data Systems (if memory serves) SQA practices. He said they jumped on the stuff and had a pilot project going within the 4 weeks of learning the SQA information. He said it was amazing how fast the staff and management adapted in comparison to their U.S. counterparts.
    Japan has always been big on QA, Deming and Juran are required reading there for any type of QA professional. Look at what they did with the automotive and electronics industries.
    Dr. Boris Beizer in a Keynote speech (at the ISTEA conference in 92 or 94) talked about the QA practices of Japan. He used the analogy of the America's Cup Race. How Japan set a goal of having a qualifier team/boat ready within 15 years (which they did). This showed how quickly Japan can adopt and adapt. He then used the comparison of "New Japan" vs. "Old Detroit" in the automotive industry (and for all of us in the U.S. we know that story) in relation to the ability to adapt and the problems with "business as usual" in the realm of competition & quality. It was an interesting speech (wish I could find the hard copy, in some box in my basement).
    I think the only thing that Beizer did not predict is that it would be India that came on as the IT rival to the U.S., instead of Japan.
    Anyway... quality as a whole has gotten better over the years, but because of growth spurts in new technology and business the affect has been "seemingly minimized" because of the rush to market. The mindset is get it out there, get the market share and then fix it/improve it. Just part of the viscious cycle of software and business. That's my opinion.

Jim
    Jim
    -------------------------------------------
    For all the general stuff to know about QA/Test go here http://www.softwareqatest.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

And I have had the opportunity to perform QA on Japanse software that was dysfunctional at best (and medical device at that - yikes [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] ). Their disaster recovery process was preventive - the developer was required to not exit the building during an emergency until his laptop was with him.

Good (and bad) processes do not seem to be owned by any one company or country. Crap seems to be a universal by-product. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Michael L. Hovan
    mrschovan@verizon.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by westsan:
    I think its pure laziness.
    (No offense intended) [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Who do you think is being lazy here?
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

-
    -
    Yeah the software is not too hot here.
    It has to do with the english language education system failing the programming industry...

In my experience Japanese focus on user based testing.
    Another thing is just because a workaround has been presented we dont stop there. Our vendors tend to think their flimsy workarounds are the end of the road and stop their investigations there. My boss demands that we get a concrete definitive root cause of the problem for each and every problem.
    I have found that this, albeit painstaking, can be some of the best future preventative information.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Let me also add that it is like pulling teeth to get the Japanese to invest in automation test tools. I have been screaming for 6 mo to get one tool or another in here and have had 2 potential vendors in for an explanation (silk performer being one) and both have been rejected in favor of a hands-on user-based approach towards testing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

huh? I'm not grasping the argument/discussion here at all....

the quote is barely understandable and seems to be an opinion based on thin air or some rogue observations.

All I've gotten from this is all software is crap and it's the fault of bad QA and the english language education system in Japan.

BTW, here in Canada, we do focus on user based testing also. We also focus on many other types of testing. Unfortunately, testing does not inject quality into a product, it merely ensures the intended quality is there.
    Gabba Gabba Hey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

-
    -
    Well
    let me spell it out for you while I wait for our vendor to troubleshoot a problem (up all night over here)

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Is there anyone on the other side that deals with Japan and QA related issues?
    (Im looking to hear other peopls experience; ie: Do you find Japanese customers demanding?)

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Is it difficult developing and doing QA for Japanese customers?

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] What do you see as the problem?
    (What is the difference that creates such a large gap between Japanese QA and US QA)

Lastly,
    [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] If your a vendor and you wish to enter the Japanese market but dont do QA locally -- in Japan -- then you will probably not be able to support your customers.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast