Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

What is the difference between Test Strategy and Test Plan

Hi,

I would like to know the difference between Test Strategy and Test Plan.

Regards
    R.Deiva

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: What is the difference between Test Strategy and Test Plan

A test strategy sets up the testing infrastructure (like defect management procedures, acceptance criteria, etc.) and can be developed very early in the project cycle, before a lot of specific information is known about the project. It will contain a general strategy on how the project will be tested.

A test plan specifically plans the testing activity, and may contain links to the actual test cases developed for the project. Specifics in regards to test data, test environments, schedule, and staffing are known. Some information from the test strategy may be reiterated in the test plan.

One of the biggest mistakes I see in the field are staff who try to produce a test plan before they have enough information to make it meaningful. They end up with a relatively meaningless document full of "TBD" (To Be Decided).

- Linda

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: What is the difference between Test Strategy and Test Plan

Other than stating the obvious (I did a search on test plan and strategy and I found many hits in this forum) Its better to do a search of the forum before posting such questions, I find it interesting that many do pose this question.

Its like asking whats the difference bewteen a car and and a steering wheel.

Asking such a question implies that you know what a test plan is but you don't know what a test strategy is. Sorry this is not possible.

A Strategy is an essential component of any plan, whether its a Project Management Plan, Risk Management Plan, Quality plan, Business Plan..... even a Toe Nail cutting plan. To best help you I suggest you just look up some definitions of what a Test Plan is or even look up what a Plan is as a generic concept.

You could even look up war history and read up about battle plans and look at the strategy they employed there (Suggest you give General Custer a miss).
    Robert Tehve
    rtehve@bigpond.com