Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

What should be tested during the Go Live phase?

Just a quick question out to everyone out there!

What should be the primary focus during the Go Live Phase of a project?

1) Should everything be tested in terms of minor things such as the spelling etc or

2) Should Go Live testing be focused to ensure that all the functionality works as it should!?

Or am I completely missing something here!

I would be interested in all your views. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: What should be tested during the Go Live phase?

A few questions:

Have you completed all your testing needs prior to your go live date?

Is this is the first time the code has existed in this Prod Region?

Have you performed testing in the Prod Region in the past?
    Life should NOT be a trip to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an cool and well preserved body, but rather to skid in, chocolate in one hand, beer in the other, body wrecked, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

This question truly invites more opinion than fact, so here is mine [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

In the real world, as opposed to where we all wished we worked, go live is typically a frantic time...deadlines are being pushed, people are being pushed, nerves are worn thin, processes are being violated, last minute changes are being implemented, all in the good name of trying to do a better job...and we all know, objectively, the net result is NOT a better job. As release gets closer, I would, all other things being equal, begin to focus more and more on regression testing core functionality. I would not thin myself out by going off and looking for any little thing a this point; I would look for the big surprise that my cynical nature makes me believe is going to happen somewhere. This presumes several things: New functionality has been tested and approved for production; All high risk defects have been resolved; No new functionality is being added; You have a regression test program in place that can actually pull this off.

I believe in a "split team" design, with some testers completely devoted to new functionality and fixes, and some to regression and maintenance. The new team practices exploratory and manual testing...fast, agile, and efficient at flushing issues out of new code and integrations. The second team proctices regression, usually through automation...making sure we dont break the existing code base. As Go Live gets closer, you should be able to begin to shift focus, and even possibly some team members, from the New code side to the Regression side. If you find yourself with a heavy workload on the New code side still, then you probably are not ready to go live.

Good Luck,
    David

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

In reply to the questions asked:

Q. Have you completed all your testing needs prior to your go live date?

A. Yes

Is this is the first time the code has existed in this Prod Region?

A. Yes

Have you performed testing in the Prod Region in the past?

A. No

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

My suggestion since this is the first time that the code has existed in your Prod Region and it has never been tested before is that you run an entire system test - end-to-end. There are a lot of unknowns that may be flushed out, especially when it comes to environment issues.

For future releases if the code has been tested competely in other environments I suggest running just your smoke tests to ensure that all the critical functionality is working upon code movement.
    Life should NOT be a trip to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an cool and well preserved body, but rather to skid in, chocolate in one hand, beer in the other, body wrecked, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

i don't think running system test end-to-end is a good idea, it will take some time to complete..

i think it will be a good idea to run kind of "REGRESSION" scripts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

If your "Go Live" testing takes place in the production environment, I'd recommend a non-invasive "smoke" test to ensure everything was moved/installed correctly and nothing more, unless you're running concurrency tests to make sure results from the old system/new system match prior to "turning on" the new system.

A "smoke" or "baseline" test in a production environment would consist of basic functionality, with nothing in the tests that would modify production data, or leave a footprint that would affect production data. I would try to keep the test to an hour or so at the most.

- Linda

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Linda

I agree with you, but since code has never existed and not one test has been run in their production environment wouldn't it make sense to run an entire system test first time out of the box - from that point forward smoke tests could be run? On many assignments I've run into server, DB, etc issues the first time we run code in a new environment.

Regards

Adrian

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I made the assumption that the "new code" was going into a production system with existing applications and data either in the db, or linked to the new db, in which case I wouldn't run a complete test.

Part of the reason may be because I've seen and read about too many embarrassing incidents (and several lawsuits) resulting from testing in production. I agree with you in regards to server, DB issues, etc., but think those kinds of problems can generally be found with a smoke test. If it is a brand new production environment, however, where nothing has ever been run, it might be a different story - new architectures need a more complete shakedown...

- Linda