Thread: Python

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Python

Other than the statement that "Python is a portable, interpreted, object-oriented programming language", does anyone have any information or experience with it?

If so can you share some details, please?

Thanks.

Rich
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Python

I have experience with it.

It is a very good scripting language... what kind of questions do you have?

-Corey
    Corey Goldberg
    Homepage: goldb.org
    Twitter: twitter.com/cgoldberg
    Google+: gplus.to/cgoldberg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

We are developing a test server which will launch tests via an API interface with a minimal footprint in the SUT. We are looking for a script engine that will generate TSL, VBA, or some other usable language. Oh, and did I say it has to be cheap?
    The goal is to push up to 100 SUT's at the same time for our regression suite. We are currently using a TSL engine, but it is licensed so we can't modify it.

Rich
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

you kinda lost me..

what do you mean by:
    We are looking for a script engine that will generate TSL, VBA, or some other usable language.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Are you looking to write a code generator?

The goal is to push up to 100 SUT's at the same time for our regression suite. We are currently using a TSL engine, but it is licensed so we can't modify it.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">so I'm not clear on what your goals are. Are you trying to build a code generator to create scripts that are runnable using another tool? Or are you trying to create a load generating tool yourself?

Also, how is the API accessed? HTTP? TCP?

Python is a good language. I prefer Perl, but if you want to take advantage of OOP, Python is a real OO language.

if you explain more what you are trying to do perhaps others can help.

-Corey
    Corey Goldberg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

1. We really do not wat to write a code engine, bur would like to get one to use in our project, hence the comment that we are looking for one that will generate either TSL, VBA, or other usable code such as Python.
    2. Our scripts are currently generated via a TSL code generator which is part of a commercial product which we would like to eliminate due to the expense.
    3. We have created an API DLL and and host side EVE to be used by whatever we settle on to push the tests to the SUT's. Our current SUT platform is in OS/2 but we are in the process of converting over to XPEmbedded.

I hope you understand now. I am seeking as much info on Python as possible to help decide if it is the code generator for us.

Thanks.

Rich
    Personal Comment

~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I still don't understand what you are looking for.

What are you comparing Python against? What specifically would you like to know about it? As with any language, there are volumes of books written about it, so its hard to give a general overview here.

It is an interpreted scripting language, and interpreters are available for most all platforms (so your code is portable). It is an object-oriented language... but at the end of the day, it is just a programming language. And you can do whatever you want with it.

-Corey
    Corey Goldberg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

OK, I'll agree I probably don't fully understand what we need.

Thank you for your patience.

Rich
    Personal Comment

~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

no prob... When you find out more, post about it [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Corey Goldberg