Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

English phrases to avoid in forums

Not that this only applies to non-native English speakers, but sometimes it seems like there's a language barrier that can make people misinterpret the tone of a post. Phrases that are ok in Hindi, Russian, etc might be considered demanding when directly translated to English. Anyone have others to add?

Never say you need something quickly unless you're willing to pay money for it. Its unlikely to make anyone assist you any faster.

"Give me details". When people try to help you, they're going to give you as many details as they feel like spending time to write about. If the information they supply is insufficient, do what you can and ask more questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: English phrases to avoid in forums

Just a quick selection of phrases that ruffled my feathers. It is often not the actual used words but the demanding tone that puts me off.

Typical for these questions is that it is clear that the questioner has not done any research themselves, they are under great pressure to do something they have never done before and they are planning to do just the bare minimum and they need a quick fix.

What is workbench technique ? Please throw some light.

So, can anyopne say how me to procced and any examples u cna probvide me.

Can anyone help me in finding out what is the exact difference betwen Error and Bug clearly with Example.

Basically,How do we go about doing performance testing manually?process?

who can tell me which tool to easy use

why there are so many man view the webside , but so little reply?

Any ideas please sugesst me, any docs regarding on this topic please help me.

I am doing newly this Qa course so I want some model testing p;rojects in VB could u pls send mail to me more about it

i was assigned to do a testing on my company software....Any one know what software can automatically key in input and record all the result of my company software(server application)...thank u..

Suggest me a Cheap and Best web testing tool

one interview they asked me which document is need to prepare test case, test plan reply me
    Roland Stens

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

"Send me the answer as soon as possible."

I thought this one was really brazen:

"if you know the answer plz place it here, if u cant then please let others do it."

Context = moderator and other respondents were resistant to providing an answer to an exam question.

[ 07-08-2004, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: jpensyl ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Sometimes the answers can be just as mundane or confused as the questions.

Blah, blah, blah, blah....

hope this help, please correct me.

Rich
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I agree with all of the above - also any phrase that indicates that no research has yet been done. Also please use the spell check
    Lynne

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" --Thomas Edison

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I must admit those who are asking basic QA/Testing questions who profess managerial level positions bother me greatly.
    Michael L. Hovan
    mrschovan@verizon.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Very true in principle. I'd guess it is a culture thing which could be understood in context. It is very difficult to understand. The main problem lies in cheating, taking shortcuts, not displaying basic commonsense etc. It may not be a question of English language or folks from particular countries. It is GREED.

And if I may ask, is this pure opinion or any effort has been made to know the facts.
    Bryan, your post itself is partly opinion not based on facts. Have you done any kind of research on Hindi, Russian languages ?
    Can you give a couple of examples in each language which translate to demanding tone ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Cyblue,

I don't think your examples support your concern.
    For me ( as a non-native English speaker - which is obvious) these examples ilustrate wrong attitude not a language barrier. In the worst case it could be a problem a cultural barrier. ("Never say you need something quickly unless you're willing to pay money for it")

Even if I have done no research on this I would say that the language barrier problems are not so common here as the attitude problems.

... please correct me if I'm wrong [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Don't worry, be Happy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I also think that attitude is the problem
    Looking through the currently active posts an alarming number fall into this category. Its got to the point where its hard to find a post worth a) reading, and b) responding to, which doesn't seem to be someone wanting forum participants to do their jobs for them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Balance is tough on this one. I see the initial post as attempting to deal with the issue of those who post in a non-professional manner (whether accidently or on purpose). Yet, it is just as easy to exhibit prejudice against different cultures. The result of that is just as unprofessional as the postings in reference.

I do not know enough about other languages (obviously identifying me as someone from the US!!!) to judge when it is a language issue or something else. I am quite willing to defer to those who do have than knowledge.

Ultimately, it just might not be my job to straighten out those folks - whether purposefully or accidentally unprofessional. I have my hands full communicating intelligently as I wish to be communicated with.

All that said....I still am not inclined to do someone else's work for them, even if politely requested. Sorting it all out will take a better mind than mine.

Thanks for listening.

Do to others as you would have them do to you just doesn't go out of style.
    Michael L. Hovan
    mrschovan@verizon.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast