Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

V0.1 products - the calm before the storm

I was wondering what my fellow QA professionals do when they are brought onboard during a time when initial coding for a new product has just begun...?

I was hired for system/integration testing and find myself doing a lot of research and trying to be as proactive as possible before I get the first actual drop of code. I reached a stalemate with my test plans as the project keeps evolving, and there's only so much fun you can have playing with Rational Visual Test...

I stepped into the SW industry as an intern who is a trained end-user of my company's products. They liked me so much, they hired me full-time to do blackbox QA testing. I did that for a year and now I'm being tasked with planning for system testing for a product that is just coming to fruition. I'm not used to this scenario, as I have always tested products that had been produced for a long time.

I would appreciate any advice, and I apologize for being long winded.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: V0.1 products - the calm before the storm

I would see your situation as 'chugging along well in your career path'.
    This would be a serious test on all your resources and hopefully you should come out wiser from this experience.
    A few pointers:
    1. Watch for scope creep
    2. testing time being crunched
    3. be on top of your documentation
    4. Dont get frustrated by changing requirements (unfortunately most of the times on such projects directions change fast and documentation does not keep pace - be proactive here)
    5. Attend requirements/design meetings and get a thorough grounding of the application as this would keep you in great shape
    6. Manage Expectations - this includes: your role, your deliverables
    7. Manage testing in terms of life cycle

And welcome to QAforums, keep searching for relevant threads, you will find a lot of good information for similar situations.
    Good luck !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: V0.1 products - the calm before the storm

That's some darn good advice.

Thanks a ton!

I'm in good company with the folks on this site. There's TONS of info posted by some very experienced people...

Matt