Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

goals of a Qa tester

What is the next step of a mid-level QA tester (3 years) should they desire to stay in the Qa field. What is the next level that they should aspire to? How much should they expect to make? How should they get there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: goals of a Qa tester

Heather check out this rather lively discussion - some of what you seek is there. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

QA career discussion
    Mary

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

yes, I read that post but I didn't feel like it really answered MY questions. It just discussed whether or not QA was a viable position (it is ludicrous to think that it wouldn't be).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by HeatherBee:
    What is the next step of a mid-level QA tester (3 years) should they desire to stay in the Qa field. What is the next level that they should aspire to?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">senior-level QA tester, QA team lead or QA manager. Then maybe eventually make it as a VP....This really depends upon your company's career pathes. You may want to branch out into performance engineering or get more into developing quality processes for the whole company and not just the products/services that are developed by your company.

How should they get there?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Follow what they tell you on your performance review and work very hard. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

How much should they expect to make?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">As far as how much they should....that really depends on the area that you live in....you could check out http://salary.com. Some things to consider is that even if you get paid more in one area, the cost to live there might be a lot higher. For instance I live in Minnesota in a mid-size city, if I wanted to go to the Twin Cities I could make 25% to 35% more than what I making currently but my expenses would also double and I may have to sit in traffic for an hour each way rather than the 10 minutes it takes me to get home now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

HeatherBee,

Regarding "next-level" and specific to test engineering...

Are you involved in test automation? This may be the next step. However, I think you indicated some discomfort with programming in another post. If automation and things beyond like systems and/or performance testing do not appear to be your cup o' tea, the world has not ended.

Many companies have large scale projects that require dedicated QA Managers and/or Test Coordinators. These are very challenging and rewarding jobs and are often the equivalent of a project manager. Perhaps this could be your future...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hey, thanks for the advice! I'm thinking that test automation is the next step for me. Maybe finding a mentor would help. I guess I'm just not totally sure as to how to find one. I want to learn how to do automation and I'm willing to get over my difficulties with programming to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Check out:
    http://www.qatraining.net/

Does your company have an automation test tool? If so, it may have a tutorial.

Here is a start at coding. Copy/paste this into notepad and save it to your desktop as a file of any type with an extension of ".vbs". Example: snippet.vbs

Double-click the icon to run it.

'--------------------------
    Dim message, tmp, i
    message = "!reenigne tset noitamotua na gnieb ta lecxe lliw ,eebrehtaeh I"
    For i = len(message) to 1 Step -1
    tmp = tmp & Mid(message, i, 1)
    Next
    msgbox (tmp)

'--------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[quote]Originally posted by Shaky:
    [qb] What is the next step of a mid-level QA tester (3 years) should they desire to stay in the Qa field. What is the next level that they should aspire to?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">senior-level QA tester, QA team lead or QA manager. Then maybe eventually make it as a VP....This really depends upon your company's career pathes. You may want to branch out into performance engineering or get more into developing quality processes for the whole company and not just the products/services that are developed by your company.

Hey Shaky,
    If I said that I am at a Senior level QA (automation) tester or even a technical lead in automation, how would suggest or see someone like me grow in the next 3-5 years. I work very hard and am very dedicated to my job.

How should they get there?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Follow what they tell you on your performance review and work very hard. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

What would be the steps/process to achieve higher level?

Ray