Thread: Organization

Does anyone have a metric for how many QA folks you should have for each development person in a software company?

Re: Organization

This question has been asked a number of times here - please try a search and you'll likely uncover a number of discussions about this.

Short answer: It depends.
    web site | [url=http://www.ebookworm.us/[/url]

[i]...Sound trumpets! Every trumpet in the host! / Sixty thousand, on these words, sound, so high the mountains sound, and the valleys resound.</i] (The Song of Roland)

Thanks. I did check with a search but didn't find anything relevant. My experience has always been that there are several developers for each QA person. Someone else told me that there should be 2 QA people for each developer. I've never seen such a ratio and wondered what others experienced.

Thanks for your help. I know it depends. My QA person was telling me that it is normal to have 2 testers for every developer and that each developer week takes 2 weeks to test. That seemed high in my experience and I just wanted to hear from this forum. I appreciate you pointing out where the threads were. My search didn't pick those up.

St. Louis - Year 2025

One of the key words to use in a search is "ratio".

I agree with the previous respondents. It all depends. Any organization that keys off of a ratio is setting the stage for problems.

The best way to determine how many test analysts are required on a particular project, is to exercise basic project management and estimating. I suppose that if a company can repeat a process multiple times for projects that are similar in scope, size, and complexity; then a ratio may become a "voting metric" if you will, and one of the factors used in estimating.

New Zealand

The Scope/Time/Resource triangle - taking into account the practical limits to Resource numbers(management overheads/contention/Cost etc).
    Scope is the scope of the testing required based on risk assessment of not testing.
    As often discussed on here - time is often a constant.