SW Test outsourcing
is there anyone who has experience with outsourcing SW testing? I have to investigate this possibility for our organization and I am looking for pros and cons. Also for which kind of applications this is practical and for which ones it is not advisable.
Re: SW Test outsourcing
There have been other discussions on this over the past year. Do a search on "outsourcing" and you will get a lot of information.
Basically you need to define your criteria for outsourcing your testing:
1) What needs to be done - what type of work (functional, compatibility, load, IV&V), what type of application is being tested, what level of help is needed (consulting, staff augmentation, full project outsource, full department outsource).
2) What is the budgetary constraint - will this be done as a time & materials project (hourly rates) or as a fixed bid (fixed cost).
3) Expectations by you of the outsourcer - what you expect them to do for you and what work products they will produce for you & your company.
4) Expecations the outsourcer has of you - what the outsourcer will need from you in order to do their job (specifications, software, support staff, etc.).
5) Locality and availability of outsourcer - going offshore vs. onshore has pro's and con's for both aspects (onshore & offshore). Offshore your talking about logistical (time difference & remote resource) and communication issues (infrastructure and language). Onshore your talking about possibility of higher rates (but in this respect your money may be better spent because you have access to the outsourcer either through similar time zones & language, or they are on-site and working closely with you).
My suggestion to you is to do this up front work, and get pitches from some outsourcers. Ask to see their work products, what they will deliver to you, how they will communicate with you (before, during, and after the project), and references from at least 5 prior clients (with at least one with similar service needs and applications as your own if possible).
I know others will chime in on this, but hopefully this will get you pointed in the right direction.
Re: SW Test outsourcing
How big is your wallet? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Any job can be outsourced. How well equipped is the organization to handle it?
A "good" consultant learns to quote until the customer "gulps". A "great" one is able to bill beyond the "gulp-point".
Seriously, the FDA expects companies that it regulates to have a plan for managing out-sourced software work. The CMM certainly "mentions" the topic also.