Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

MOB (Management By Objective)

If this is already discussed acept my apalogies for re-posting.

In our company we would like to setup Management By Objective framework. Is any one in this forum familiar with this concept? have done it before?

I have few question related to this.

1. How to set up realistic (measurable/can be verified) objectives for QA team members and for QA team?
    2. What are the metrics used to measure/verify MOB?

I appriciate your time and response.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: MOB (Management By Objective)

I misspelled it.. [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] ) sorry, it should read as MBO (Management By Objective)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I didn't read it yet, but at stickyminds.com there is a new article "Stop the bad MBOs"

bye
    Udo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by zelm:
    I didn't read it yet, but at stickyminds.com there is a new article "Stop the bad MBOs"

bye
    Udo
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Do you have a link you could share?

(P.S. I think I like the "MOB" spelling better [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )
    Jean James
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    I deliver what I promise, and I only promise what I can deliver.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I haven't worked on an MBO project for 17 years and it surprised me that someone would be jumping on that one now.

I have to say, however, at the time it worked quite well; we had classes by Peter Drucker (hope I have that right); and I think there are several books out there on this subject.

Let us know how it works out, OK? It's interesting to hear about an "older" management technique being used to manage more contemporary efforts. Anyone remember Yourdon's sucking bubbles? It practically took longer to fill out the diagrams than it did to code the project...

- Linda

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by Jeanj:
    Do you have a link you could share?

(P.S. I think I like the "MOB" spelling better [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">In the preview the link was not visible, so better goto www.stickyminds.com , enter MBO in the search site field on top-left and press Enter...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The stickyminds article is a good one. A definite must read for those in or headed for MBO.

I have worked in a MBO environment in banking. It was soooooo sad. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Upper management decreed that the ROI would be 15%. Lo and behold - every department turned in exactly 15%. The fudging to accomplish that was indescribable. It made career change an easy choice.

But there is more to the story. At the "worker bee" level, the objectives could not be measured in ROI. One had to come to agreement with their manager about whatever the particular measure/metric was for the line item topic. You could set a goal and not meet it and get hammered. No matter that you out performed anyone else EVER - you did not meet the goal, therefore, you did not measure up.

I learned that MBO can be a way to achieve uninspired and untrue medicority. I do not believe that it has to be that way. I also know that it is very management dependent.

Therefore, if you don't have much confidence in your management, changing to MBO would mean that the resume needs to be polished.

Good luck.
    Michael L. Hovan
    mrschovan@verizon.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by i_love_developers:
    1. How to set up realistic (measurable/can be verified) objectives for QA team members and for QA team?
    2. What are the metrics used to measure/verify MOB?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">I share the other posters' reservations about using MBO. I have been MBOed in the past, and it wasn't pretty. Was forced to spend way too much time on formal Objectives, rather than being able to "do the right thing".

That said, you may want to try and enlist the QAers themselves in setting up their objectives. If they are the major part of the process, they may feel some sense of ownership, rather than just a burden. Try very hard not to create formal Objectives for every detail of the QAers' work.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!