Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

looking for source code with bugs

Hi everyone!

I am desperately looking for some source code with bugs so that the students can practice testing on them. Source code should be of small or medium size with specifications too. Does anyone know where I can find these codes? I am assigned with the job of building up a tutorial on software testing.

thanks a lot in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: looking for source code with bugs

The facetious answer of "pick up any piece of code" immediately came to mind [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

A few years ago, I was designing such a course and wrote my own piece of code with deliberate bugs in it. The advantage of writing your own is that you can design the code to have the characteristics in it that you want the students to find. So, if you are teaching boundary value analysis then you put in boundary errors. The disadvantage of using a random piece of code is that you may not know what bugs exist and, therefore, whether the students have found what bugs there are.

The code only took a couple of days to write and test (yes, remember to have it tested to ensure that the parts that you want to work actually do!)

You can then measure whether the students have picked up the lessons you have taught them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have a program called IF Builder I have written for just this purpose. (Well, actually it has another purpose as well, but this is a big part of it.) Unfortunately, it is not quite ready yet in terms of all the specifications. It is written in Visual Basic with full source code and has been distributed to a limited user community: basically Interactive Fiction hobbyists. I am also doing similar things with some Java apps of mine (including a port of IF Builder). These will eventually be available at my Web site. I also wrote a game called "The Quest for Test" (text adventure style) that I used on some testers and I actually got good feedback on it. (It is not so much a game as a series of puzzles that are abstracted out to relate to testing concepts.) Beyond that, I also used the game as a form of testing exercise - asking the testers to not only play the game and see if they could solve the puzzles, but to test the game as well to look for any problem areas that I missed.

This is an area that I am now actively pursuing: providing mini-applications and even some larger-scale ones that can be used as the basis for teaching testing types and testing techniques. I have found that to be a very fruitful way to get testers involved in the process of learning testing and to get them thinking for themselves, so I congratulate you on the approach you are taking.

(You might also consider looking at sites like PlanetSourceCode.com and SourceForge.net, both of which have numerous types of applications with full source code - although it is unlikely you will find specifications as of yet or probably ever. It depends on the application.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

By the way, the temporary (and I mean very temporary) site of IF Builder right now, if you want to look at it, is here. You can download the documentation and source code as well as the full application. Please note this is version 1.0 and was meant as a very simple proof of concept and it does have some seeded errors in it for testers to ferret out. Beyond that, however, it is functional. Version 2.0 is actively being worked on right now when I find the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Jeff,

could you please also tell where I can find the game "The Quest for Test" on your website? I couldn't find? thanks a lot for your useful information!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I could send the game to you if you want. (It is not quite finished yet - but that is because I had to change some things based on user feedback. Nevertheless, there is a lot there.) The game requires the Inform interpreter (which is free). I can also send you the source code to the game. It is released under the GNU GPL so you can feel free to modify it if you want. (To do that you will need the Inform compiler, also free.)

If you want, go to my QA Web site, GlobalTester and you can contact me via that - contact info at the bottom of every page. (It is better to have people do that rather than give out e-mails here.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by newuser:
    Hi everyone!

I am desperately looking for some source code with bugs so that the students can practice testing on them. Source code should be of small or medium size with specifications too. Does anyone know where I can find these codes? I am assigned with the job of building up a tutorial on software testing.

thanks a lot in advance!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">When I was faced with a similar requirement in the past, I grabbed some souce code that didn't have any (known) bugs, and introduced some. That approach seemed to work well.

Depending on the souce code language you want to use, you can find many "for dummies" books that have simple source code examples. Using these as the basis, then introducing some intentional bugs would seem to be a reasonable approach.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

So Jeff you always seem like you have all the answers. So why not share this game here with the crowd? Can't you upload it or something? People might doubt it really exists. What about making your builder program part of a general exercise for testers? I checked out your 'temp' site and it's an extensive program with a lot of opportunities to check for bugs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by SlimJim:
    So why not share this game here with the crowd? ... What about making your builder program part of a general exercise for testers?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">As far as not sharing the game and the application here, there are essentially two reasons:

(1) I am not actively working in the QA and/or Testing field anymore so my impetus to do such things is drastically lowered from what it once was.

(2) I have learned, through experience, that being too creative on these forums or trying different approaches leads to a sort of deadening, pin-drop-like silence. If I thought people would want to explore topics like this further, I would probably do this more. Again, however, I have learned from experience. Please understand that I am not saying that in a petulant way; just stating it as a fact.

With the above points being made, "The Quest for Test" did, however, make a public debut on another QA site, so it did not just languish. Likewise, "IF Builder" was promoted at another location as a resource for testers to showcase concepts like unit testing as well as functional testing when specifications were somewhat absent. In fact, "IF Builder" was originally used on a QA site to showcase various ways to do path testing, branch coverage, and conditional coverage and was said to be very helpful in that regard. So these things were out there - just not here. Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence, at least in an existential sense.