looking for an expert
Appreciate any help in referring to an expert (and/or web sites) to find the answers on the following questions (related to software testing field):
1. Educational/Training Requirements for Occupation (must have vs. nice to have)
2. “Soft Skills” requirements for Occupation.
3. Future demand in Labour Market for Occupation/Predicted Growth for this Occupation
Thanks in advance,
Re: looking for an expert
A number of discussion threads on this site have covered/debated this. While there is no consensus on what the ideal test engineer will be, here are some pointers:
1. A computer science or engineering degree as a base.
2. Additional professional qualifications are nice-to-haves. Again the veracity and integrity of these certifications have been questioned. Some of these include: QAI/ASQ's CSQA & CSTE program.
3. Then there are the product related certifications - like Segue, Rational or Mercury. These supposedly "prove" the familiarity/validate the expertise in a testing toolset.
4. Soft skills are of paramount importance. These include:
* Ability to learn quickly - languages, interfaces etc.
* Ability to communicate diplomatically. Since this is likely to be a conflict-prone profession, it is best to have great listening skills as well as the ability to interact in a non-confrontational manner.
Here the reference is to both oral and written communication.
Suresh Nageswaran, CQA, CSTE