Thread: Mercury

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Mercury

Alright - I've been spinning my wheels the last few weeks trying to get an answer to a question and I'm hoping someone here can enlighten me.

I've heard through the grapevine that after Mercury release their next version of Winrunner that it'll be the last major release and there's a huge push to move all new customers to Quick Test Pro and eventually move their current 30k user base over as well.

Well one question keeps popping into the old head, since Winrunner is written in TSL (derivative of C) and QTP is written in VB how the hell are they going to bridge the gap between the 2 tools.

I mean think of all the millions of scripts out there that have been written in Winrunner, do they expect us to buy QTP and now maintain 2 sets of scripts - 1 for existing scripts in WinRunner and 2 all new scripts moving forward in QTP. Now I suppose you could merrily go along you way and continue with WinRunner, but if they're not going to be enhancing it anymore then why stick with it? Have these guys at Mercury lost their minds?? I really don't think they know what a tester does on a daily basis??

Adrian

------------------
    Life should NOT be a trip to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an cool and well preserved body, but rather to skid in, chocolate in one hand, beer in the other, body wrecked, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Mercury

No no no no no no.

I am currently having a dialog with Mercury to get things hammered out.

They are not killing off WinRunner nor are they going to stop supporting it.

I will be posting something soon to the WinRunner forum (where this should have been posted) about what's in the future, licensing, etc.

Don't panic.

------------------
    WinAmp. Llama Tested. Mother Approved.
    Jordan Gottlieb
    President, Charlotte Mercury User Group
    Qualitech Solutions, Inc.
    jgottlieb@qualitechsolutions.com
    Jordan Gottlieb
    Senior Consultant, Orasi Software
    Twitter: @JG_QA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jgottlieb:
    No no no no no no.

I am currently having a dialog with Mercury to get things hammered out.

They are not killing off WinRunner nor are they going to stop supporting it.

I will be posting something soon to the WinRunner forum (where this should have been posted) about what's in the future, licensing, etc.

Don't panic.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

jgottlieb

Thanks for the response! I do understand that they will keep supporting it and are not killing it off, but rather not making any major enhancements to it in the future - just like the old Xrunner.

My big concern is the migration of existing scripts in WinRunner to QTP, if people decide to buy QTP for the enhanced functionality that Mercury will put in it in months/years to come. I'd really appreciate if you could pass on any feedback you get from Mercury!!

Thanks

Adrian

------------------
    Life should NOT be a trip to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an cool and well preserved body, but rather to skid in, chocolate in one hand, beer in the other, body wrecked, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

My intent is to post the answers to all the questions I recieved once I have finished my dialog with Mercury.

Both my contact and I have been very busy, so we are still playing phone tag.

I'm about half way through what I want to pose to him.

------------------
    WinAmp. Llama Tested. Mother Approved.
    Jordan Gottlieb
    President, Charlotte Mercury User Group
    Qualitech Solutions, Inc.
    jgottlieb@qualitechsolutions.com
    Jordan Gottlieb
    Senior Consultant, Orasi Software
    Twitter: @JG_QA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

If you're halfway through, please ask a question on my behalf.

I'd like to know the DB-testing capabilites of QTP. This functionality in WR is rather poor.

------------------
    Cordialement
    Cordialement