Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Quality awarness in the organisation

We are software development organisation planning to go for CMM Level 5. We are planning to come out with posters and banners having good quality themes, pictures and sologans. Can you pls. share your experience on the same. It would be a great help if you could direct me to a website where I can get those details

- Baskar G.C
    Baskar

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Quality awarness in the organisation

Indirectly pointing things out...

The ability to reach CMM level 5, ISO 900x, or IEEE does not mean that you make 'quality' product. In fact, take a look at the Firestone tires with Fords. They are totally ISO 900x compliant manufacturing, and in so will most likely qualify for CMM level 5. But would you call it a 'quality' product?

People often think 'good process' == 'good quality'. Not so. Good process means that you know why you made something, and you can do it again with completely new staff. You can design anything (including a piece of junk), figure out why/who/how it's made, and be able to make it time after time again. This is what CMM level 5 guarantees you. It by no means you are making a good product.

Also,
    'More process' !~= 'Better Ideas'. Innovative thinking is done 'outside the box'. Classic training of 'idea box', and 'brain storming' must be practiced, and enforced and it enforces chaotic thinking. And as such, there are also values of 'ad-hoc testing', and spending time 'breaking the product'. Just because all the basic features are tested, it doesn't make the product bullet proof. There are testers out there, who know how to 'feel' the product. This may sound funny to some, but that is how I've tested products in the past and as 'bullet proof' products have disappeared over time, I've pushed more toward 'automation', so I can spend time in the back breaking the product. You can see how the product works, and feel the rythm that it keeps and sense that something isn't quite working right inside. As my first QA manager said "You can teach someone to test, but you can teach them how to break a product. It's something that some people are gifted with."

With that in mind,
    I think you need to disassociate process with quality. Just because you have good documentation doesn't mean you have a good, solid product.

So, what should you do to promote good Quality? SAS (I think) has the right mentality on this one.
    Put up a poster of innovate engineering items made with 'craftmanship' to be admired. A poster of buildings, and things that people have made with pride and stood over time and remind us that this is what we want to make.

------------------