Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

where to start, fast?

I have an application that I wrote that has failed with new customers twice, so far. It is a web based predictive dialer with the agent software in clientside Javascript, and the Supervisor Console (the software brains of the system) written in C. And a third part (the gateway) written in C. All three communucate via TCP with a homemade protocol. The failures the last two times was when a Supervisor Console could not communicate to my Gateway. I think I took care of this by passing the TCP packets through my server, in these special cases (of NATs). Ofcourse the customer are long gone. I am a one man show, and whatever bucks I have (less than 10k) I need to save for marketing. What cheap tool can I use? or do you think I could find some intern who wants to get some experience in QA to test it for me. I definately can't afford to pay $200/hour. And what should I be testing? Should I concentrate on the communications stuff, or should I be worried about load, and general functionality. It is hard getting human remote agents to test.

Thanks,

Rich

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: where to start, fast?

I'd say concentrate on what failed before first. What did your former customer tell you?

You mentioned marketing. What are you marketing this product to do? Test that. What are the most critical pieces of your software? Test those.

It's very hard to test your own code. I don't know that an intern would be able to help you determine what to test, but it might be a good idea to have someone else actually execute the tests.

I'd say forget the tool for now. That's not a silver bullet. You need some basic functionality, load, stress etc. tests done.

Fast isn't the answer either. It'll fail again if you think you can get it speedily tested well.
    There's a saying you've probably heard.
    "Good, fast & cheap - pick 2"

Good luck!

------------------
    -- Jean

Something that you say or do today will make a difference to someone else.
    Make it a GOOD thing!
    Jean James
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    I deliver what I promise, and I only promise what I can deliver.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: where to start, fast?

I also don't think you should be looking at a tool - cheap or otherwise. What you appear to need is expertise that is complementary to yours. A one-man show can be a difficult venture.

Why would an intern want to work with you? What are you offering? And would you want to trust your venture to an intern anyway?

Have you thought about hooking up with a professional QAer in exchange for a piece of the eventual profits? Or, sometimes a potential first customer can provide the expertise for you in exchange for a very steep discount (it might need to be 100%).

As far as what you should be testing - of course you should test it all. Perhaps in this order:
    - basic communications
    - functionality
    - load

------------------
    - Joe (strazzerj@aol.com)

[This message has been edited by jstrazzere (edited 01-13-2003).]
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!