Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Do you get paid for extra hours of work?

In my organization some of my collegues are getting the product to be tested during weekends and they are supposed to report them back by monday morning. And this makes them work on sundays also; that too wihtout any extra pay. Have any of you come across this kind of situation?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Do you get paid for extra hours of work?

I would wager that all of us that get paid a salary have been asked/expected/required to work overtime (nights, weekends, holidays) without "extra" pay. Of course the flip side is that those of us who get paid a salary get paid even when we are not on a project at all.

If I were hourly wage, I would expect to get paid for every hour I worked.

------------------
    Scott Barber, Sr. Performance Engineer
    sbarber@noblestar.com
    http://www.noblestar.com
    http://www.perftestplus.com
    Scott Barber
    Chief Technologist, PerfTestPlus
    Executive Director, Association for Software Testing
    Co-Author, Performance Testing Guidance for Web Applications
    sbarber@perftestplus.com

If you can see it in your mind...
    you will find it in your life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'm on a salary but the expectation of that salary is that we work 40 hours (not including breaks) a week. In my department, if we work extra hours, we get time off in lieu. I much prefer the time off to extra money - way more valuable.
    I did work at a place once where you got a "bonus" for working the extra hours (and were expected to work extra hours even if there was no work to do). I could have worked those extra hours at McDonald's and received the same as I got with the bonus.
    I think the overtime required in the software industry is pretty excessive. When overtime is required for every single project because of some sort of insane expectations of this industry, I think it's pretty unfair to expect people to do it without some sort of compensation. I know, life's not fair, but I think people are allowing themselves to get pushed around in the workplace these days doing the work of 2 or 3 people under impossible deadlines.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Plummi (edited 01-04-2003).]
    Gabba Gabba Hey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yes, sometimes we have to work over but we get comp time as well. It is pretty nice to be able to leave at 3:00 or so a couple of days a week. If I got paid for the time, Uncle Sam would just take it in taxes anyway .

If the schedule is requiring them to work too many hours, someone may want to evaluate. A good way to burn out a team quickly is to constantly cut things so close they never get any time off.

------------------
    Cat

If you break it; they will come.
    Cat

If you break it; they will come.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Unfortunately, I have seen it often; and, the testing group usually seems to get the worst of it because are at the end of the lifecycle. Project personnel (especially Testors) working overtime (especially weekends) is a sure sign of an immature organization. It is almost always a direct result of one of more of the following:
    poor requirements definition/management, poor planning/tracking, and/or lack of good intergroup coordination.

These items and more are addressed when using the CMM as a guideline for project management. Perhaps you could suggest that your organization begin making some improvements based on key practices of the CMM. This would go a long way toward resolving your woes. It has been proven time and again that more time spent planning, tracking, and performing procedures in a repeatable and organized manner reduces overall time and avoids "burn-out" of the project team and especially testors.

I have often heard it said that there is not a lot of measureable return on investment (ROI) in the early stages of CMM implementation. I completely disagree. Moreover, I can assure you that any employee who experiences the benefits of better project management, scheduling, and control feels a great improvement. I suppose I would agree that a less stressful work schedule and more time at home is immeasurable. It's hard to put a price on such things.

The SEI included a great Oscar Wilde quote in one of their old training classes - "These days, people know the cost of everything and the value of nothing." I wouldn't say that's entirely true; but, in business, we sure tend to get caught up in that line of thinking.

------------------
    Diane M. Burwick
    CEO/Principal Consultant
    Business Process Solutions
    www.businessprocess-solutions.com
    Diane M. Burwick
    CEO/Principal Consultant
    Business Process Solutions
    www.businessprocess-solutions.com

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

In general our base salaries are higher in comparison to other industries/trades. Thus there is an expectation to go the extra mile to earn it. Also, the potential of making it "Big" with a private company that is going public has been a lure for overtime (work hard now and be rewarded later). Seems the dot bomb has laid that idea to rest.

I am sure the majority of us are Exempt status Salaried employees. Which means we get paid on a fixed basis (regardless of hours worked) and are not entitled to overtime pay like a non-exempt employee (paid hourly). Companies reward us by bonus pay or time off. This is up to their discretion. So if your getting paid in some form your lucky.

I think right now a lot of people would be just happy to have a job and income (I am). If you have to do some OT then live with it. Now if it is chronic (prolonged period of time or "required" when not necessary) then that is another issue. This can lead to some real ugly B.S., and legal problems for the employer.

Finally, do I get paid (money or time off). Not anymore, I used to get time off. But now the company has changed its policy. And a lot of us workers are not killing ourselves anymore.

Jim

------------------
    Jim
    -------------------------------------------
    For all the general stuff to know about QA/Test go here http://www.softwareqatest.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Plummi,

When I compare the hours I work vs. the salary I make as compared to say, my father who is a middle school teacher, I think I get compensated pretty darn well for what I do. True he works fewer hours than I do, but he has been in the same job for 32 years and makes less than I do. No matter how much pride I have in what I do, or how valuable I think it is, I will never believe that it even scratches the surface of the value my father provides.

I dunno, guess it's just me, but I think my salary compensates me just fine for the average of 58.3 hours a week (I just looked it up) I've been working for the last 3 years.

We do get bonus for performance, but that isn't directly related to overtime.

------------------
    sbarber@noblestar.com
    Scott Barber
    sbarber@perftestplus.com

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

qaengr

I get paid for any over time. I have seen cases where people don't. I would just refuse to do the overtime. I guess it comes down to how much you value your job.

------------------
    Robert Tehve
    rtehve@bigpond.com
    Robert Tehve
    rtehve@bigpond.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have never worked for a company that paid overtime to exempt workers.

I believe salaried professionals should be expected to work to get the job done, rather than work hour-by-hour. My team members are pretty much free to set the schedule that works best for them - within the parameters of the project at hand.

If that requires a few extra hours on occasion to get a project completed on time, or do some testing during a nighttime release, then I expect my team to step up and do what they can.

At the same time, if they need to take some time for personal errands, and it fits into the schedule, I don't expect them to forfeit any money.

If the requirements of the job get excessive, one can always leave and go to a company that is less demanding.

------------------
    - Joe (strazzerj@aol.com)
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jstrazzere:
    I have never worked for a company that paid overtime to exempt workers.

I believe salaried professionals should be expected to work to get the job done, rather than work hour-by-hour. My team members are pretty much free to set the schedule that works best for them - within the parameters of the project at hand.

If that requires a few extra hours on occasion to get a project completed on time, or do some testing during a nighttime release, then I expect my team to step up and do what they can.

At the same time, if they need to take some time for personal errands, and it fits into the schedule, I don't expect them to forfeit any money.

If the requirements of the job get excessive, one can always leave and go to a company that is less demanding.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldn't have said it better myself. Saleried folks should be able to average something close to 40 a week over the course of a year, but be willing/able to put in some extra hours around "crunch time". Anything above and beyond your immediate job is extra hours that (hopefully) will lead to advancement in the future, but not additional pay now.

------------------
    sbarber@noblestar.com
    Scott Barber
    sbarber@perftestplus.com