Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

what is ur role as QA/ testing person

I was wondering what are the responsibilties and authorities of a QA / testing engineer?
    does he need to be invloved in every stage of the project like is his involvement needed from requirements stage?
    please guide me

thanks
    regards

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: what is ur role as QA/ testing person

It depends...

Ideally, the tester should be involved at as early a stage as possible, at least at design stage, although I personally have found that getting involved at the requirements stage has benefits.

You need to be able to ensure that the requirements are testable, and that any requirements are not mutually exclusive - it sounds unlikely, but I've worked on a project where they were, and no-one noticed until they tried to build the system!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gkris:
    I was wondering what are the responsibilties and authorities of a QA / testing engineer?
    does he need to be invloved in every stage of the project like is his involvement needed from requirements stage?
    please guide me

thanks
    regards

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would not say that's depends. He/shoud be involved as soon as posible.
    It's depends only what exactly will be the responsibilities. There are define process for requirements validation ? If yes, these should be performed by QA.
    Anyway, at least QA have to assure that requirements are testable.
    Of course, regarding the requirements, more other criteria should been considered:
    - requirements validity, completness,...

------------------
    If you need a reason to be happy - FIND IT, don't wait it !
    Don't worry, be Happy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Kris

Depends on what your organization expects the person in the role to do. From your post, it would seem like in your organization QA and test engineering are more or less, fused roles. Is that right ?

------------------
    -Suresh Nageswaran, CQA, CSTE
    punekar@yahoo.com
    Cognizant Technology Solutions,
    Pune, India.
    Suresh Nageswaran, CQA, CSTE
    Lead Consultant
    Kanbay Inc.
    Pune, India.
    sureshnageswaran@yahoo.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

suresh,
    my job is Qa+testing
    nothing was defined to me , like my role, responsibility , authority.
    at the first stage, i was given a project for testing. that was the only resonsibility assigned to me.
    later i developed standards, procedures, process improvements.
    thats why i want to know what exactly arethe duties of a QA and testing person.
    regards
    gkris

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

racheal

i agree with ur point of getting invloved at the requirement stage itself but how thats the question.
    what i mean by getting invloved at that stage itself is
    comparing Software Requirement specs with functional specs and test if everything is as per the needs of the customer?
    is that what you meant?
    or is there any other way of getting invloved at the reqmts stage ?
    and regarding testing at the design stage
    testing the html forms , checking if the links are okay, checking the consistency of every page(font size,logo,etc)
    is this how testing at design stage is done ?
    or something differnt
    guide me
    thanks lot

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

daniel

u said there are specific process for reqmts validation.
    could u stress that?
    can u specify what is the process to be followed
    thanks

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

There is a "Test" role in each of the Development Processes, if the organization you are working for is following the standard development processes and is developing documentation for each process.

During the Requirements Phase, Test Engineers should be reviewing the S/W requirements to make sure the requirements meet the User/Customer requirements and that the requirement can be tested. In addition, this is also the phase when Test Planning should be started. Defining what is to be tested, what kind of a test configuration is needed, if any special software or hardware is needed, and what is the schedule.
    If the Developers use some method to track the requirements to the design, Test Engineers should review this info to make sure no requirement is missed. In addition, new requirements are often defined during design and the Testers should be aware of these.
    There is really some taskes for Testers at every Development Phase, but not all Projects have the funds for the tasks.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

There are a lot of aspects to how you 'test' requirements. Much of it varies project by project, so we can't just tell you 'do this'.

As to how you get involved, well mostly I find that just asking whoever is doing the requirements is a good starting point. Most of the time I've found that such folks are very happy to have another set of eyes looking at their stuff as early as possible, to provide prospective, find holes, ambiguities, etc. If you have to 'sell' this, there's huge volumes of data on the cost of a 'flaw' depending on when it is found (earlier = cheaper to fix). Flaws in requirements, because so much derives from them, are perhaps the prime examples of this, and hence there is trememdous potential cost to a flawed requirement, so the benefit of your looking at them as early as possible is in getting those things corrected when it's still relatively 'cheap' to do so. Usually it's not too hard to sell this.

How do you test requirements? Some aspects of this have already been mentioned in the thread above. I'll elaborate briefly on them and a few others.

1) consistency. Do any of the requirements conflict with one another? Does requirement A preclude requirement B? e.g. if there is a requirement that there is an "immovable object", there had better not also be a requirement that there is an "irrestible force". (each of those precludes the existance of the other) Are values in the requirements consistant. Does one requirement say 'x operations per second' and another place it says 'y operations per second' for what is effectively the same operation.

Testability. Will it be possible to actually test that a requirement has been met? How expensive will it be to test the requirement. What tools and resources will it take to test.

Specificity. This tends to tie in to testability.. I've seen a lot of ambiguious requirements, especially with regards to performance, or the user experience... Look for adjectives (such as fast, speedy, responsive) and adverbs (like 'rapidly' 'quickly' etc.) without any accompanying measure of what that word means. How are you going to test that the user is able to perform a 'fast keyword query' unless you know what 'fast' is.. (one second? 5? 15?)

Mono-dimensional requirements. Similar to above but instead of entirely lacking numbers, you get just one dimension.. OK, so they tell you that a fast query is 7 seconds or less.. OK, great start, but now tell me &lt;=7 seconds under what conditions?
    on what hardware
    with how much data in the system
    with how many users in the system
    how large a results set for the query.

That's by no means an extensive list, more of just a start, but hopefully you get the idea.

------------------
    A project without change control is by definition out of control
    A project without change control is by definition out of control

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

One more thing to have in mind is that bugs found during requirements testing stage is less expensive compared to bugs found during system testing and in the field.

ucxyz
    Sr. Test Engr.

------------------
    ucxyz
    Sr. Test Engr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast