Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Payback time; A discussion about the contributions to the board.

Hey folks,

Following Cryptonomic's lead in discussing the issue of how do we better this place , for it is already good, I thought we should start a genuine discussion. Well the idea behind the exercise should be such that it should encapsulate the following,
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Proposing ideas and methods to follow in order to ensure that the content posted on the forums increases in general quality & substance and reaches new heights.<LI>Coming up with ideas and plausible solutions such that they can be implemented through an joint effort with AJ and the members of this forums, the ones that would be difficult or impossible to implement would be less worth discussing.<LI>Segregating the causes of concern or scope of improvements from the solutions so that something of a causal analysis can be done.<LI>One important thing to consider would be in case none of the ideas or solutions work or be implemented than at least the discussion should be of some impact. Meaning that the way the discussion be done should have satisfying touch.<LI>The discussion should address all the forums and not only the things that appear of-present importance, Chit.Chat for e.g. something like the general quality of replies to posts needs to be discussed as well.<LI>Finally at the base of it all we need to keep one thing in the fore-front i.e. the focus on the task at hand, i.e. betterment of the board, as against quoting and counter quoting each other and engaging in fruitless verbal combat.[/list]

Let me start with some ...
    Ideas:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>As a direct ratio of the number of members, the number of watchdogs i.e. the moderators should also be increased. We can assign them a different status if need be. These people can be armed with some tools, other than the normals such as being able to delete, move and edit the posts, to aid them. Something like a reply post which is generic in nature that can be made to posts from newbies or anybody for that matter leading them to the correct path or proper way of asking information. Many more (tools) I have in mind.<LI>A kind of a monthly mail of rules & guidelines reminder be sent to all members informing and updating about the recent changes.<LI>I've seen that rewards is one of the best forms of motivation. I suggest AJ introduce some rewards other than those that are present, with the motivation being to post better. Motivation can be something like best post of the month, or best reply of the month etc. Rewards can be something like bonus points (the ones against our names) or anything else for that matter<LI>A clear notification to everyone suggesting that only topics be discussed here and not people (at least not the members unless until they volunteer to do so.)[/list]

Finally one very important perspective I would like to present or express. That being the essence of very existence of this place is Quality Assurance, almost every aspect as related to it is discussed here, in various forms such as queries, doubts, general discussions, problems, future developments, processes etc. and the discussions have usually drawn so many of us out of holes for more than few times. Today we are presented with an opportunity to use that knowledge, those ideas that we gathered from here in order to boost this very own place. Being what we are i.e. Quality assurance and enhancement professionals, let us give this board something back. I would also like to state another perspective; to a child the first introduction of the world is usually done by the child's mother, correcting and setting straight the path every step of the way from thereon. Either punishing for the wrong doings or correcting the mistakes. I would urge the regulars here to consider the people who err as children into a new world. With a little patience and persistence we will all get it right. I know.

I have posted this thread in the General Discussion forum with the intention we the QA community engage in a professional approach towards this issue.

------------------
    never say die
    Life, that dares send, A challenge to his end,
    And when it comes say, Welcome friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Payback time; A discussion about the contributions to the board.

witchcrop,

Very well said! I know I had crafted a similar (though not nearly as eloquent) message in my head several times over the past day or so. I wonder how many others had done the same. I'm glad you took the initiative to actually type it in and submit it.

All,

There is something that continually amazes me about human nature. Something new and good comes into existance and everyone loves it (well most everyone). It continues to get better and people flock to it. Then people forget that it is wonderful and start talking about all the things that are wrong with it - until someone steps back and reminds them how good it really is. I think you have just done that.

My thoughts.

- I agree that there should be either more moderators, or some other role designed to help guide and/or coach discussions. Not for the purposes of censure, but to help ensure that the origional poster gets the best answer that we collectively have to give.

- Recognizing quality posts and/or posters is valuable. My personal opinion is that it be done within each individual forum by the moderator(s) of that forum. Whether points are awarded, or they get special colored stars for the following month, or whatever. I think it is also important to make this recognition fun and not competitive.

- This is a bit off topic, but I would still like to see an area where we can post documents, templates, code snippets, etc. that we can refer back to. I know that is a physical change that is easier said than done. For me, at least, it would keep some more discussions on the forums for all to see rather than ending in "email me - the file is too large to post".

Oh, and to everyone out there who does participate, ask questions and share their knowledge - Thanks!

------------------
    Scott Barber
    NOBLE(STAR
    Sr. Performance Engineer
    sbarber@noblestar.com
    http://www.noblestar.com
    http://www.perftestplus.com
    Scott Barber
    Chief Technologist, PerfTestPlus
    Executive Director, Association for Software Testing
    Co-Author, Performance Testing Guidance for Web Applications
    sbarber@perftestplus.com

If you can see it in your mind...
    you will find it in your life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Payback time; A discussion about the contributions to the board.

I would like to see this collection of knowledge transferred into some form that is much easier to weed through than searching the posts. An FAQ or dictionary for commonly asked questions that have pretty straight forward answers is one idea. There may be other ways to compile other information found here into an easier to read/search format. I would be willing to help out with this also - moderators, I believe you have access to my email address.

------------------
    Gabba Gabba Hey