Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

testing product in different testing tools vs one testing tools

what you think its better to test a software in one testing tools or test it in multi-testing tools (let say different testing tools from different venders)? assuming you have the time and the skills to use all the different testing tools.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: testing product in different testing tools vs one testing tools

Ttesting the same functionality with more than one test tool doesn't seem very useful to me.

If it's tested, it's tested. Doesn't matter how you get there - manually, tool A or tool B.

------------------
    - Joe (strazzerj@aol.com)
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

We are testing product to be delivered.
    Not testing the testing tools ???

First sort out which is the best testing tool for the product to get tested and used that. Ultimate aim is to test the product to get a Bug free Product

------------------
    Dinesh
    Dinesh
    Be your Own Light

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

qa_tester, that's a good point. If your organization is at the point where you can do this, then consider this.

If you are considering using another test tool to prove it's working, you can just use the one tool to exercise with well known behavior and that should be sufficient.

Introduce multiple vendor's software is not always good. First of all, there are no guarantees that they are bug free and you spend more time figuring out the 'quirks' of their software. Worst yet, things like silk, robot, and winRunner put hooks into the different api's which concerns me. (Next time go to sysinternals and get their process monitor or file monitor tool and just open a browser on a system with one of these tools loaded. You will see that you are also loading their libraries.)

Also, one of the key things that you want to consider is integration with nightly builds. Environment with multiple tools would make this costly and difficult, if not impossible. Runtime cost, if you go with major commerical software, per system would be outrageous as well. (If you have that much money to burn, then hire a person and get them off the unemployment!).

Those are just few reasons why I'd avoid multiple automation languages. Though scalability, investment cost, maintainance are other things that come to my head.

:-)

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I do remember reading in some testing book "Bugs in software develop resistance to same kind of testing" and the image of a bug with kinda broad smile out there with this quote was pretty unpleasing

Well change in test approach or technique is necessary or the above rule/quote applies.

Finding out tools which have different approaches to test or have different ways to unearth the bugs will definitely help ship a less defect free software

Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

If you are going to buy 2 tools, I would try to avoid similar tools. Instead of buying 2 GUI automation tools, maybe get a GUI automation tool and a Performance tool or an API tool or a code coverage tool. That would give you more bang for the buck I think.

------------------
    Tom
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tmason:
    If you are going to buy 2 tools, I would try to avoid similar tools. Instead of buying 2 GUI automation tools, maybe get a GUI automation tool and a Performance tool or an API tool or a code coverage tool. That would give you more bang for the buck I think.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that is the only acceptable reason to use 2 different testing tools.

If you intend to use 2 testing tools for functional testing, for example, you should estimate your benefits versus your costs (I suppose that's good for every activity)

-what you will gain using 2 different tools = number of errors/second tool and associated benefits

-what cost you the second testing tool (tool aquisition, support,...) and the effort to use it (training, people to prepare and run tests, training for this tools, time consumed,...

IF you're gain something from this USE it, if not ... let somebody else decide or even propose .

------------------
    If you need a reason to be happy - FIND IT, don't wait it !
    Don't worry, be Happy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you very much for your responds. I do agree with all of you. However my situation is, we are in the stage or evaluation the testing tools, and I have only one project on hand. So what I did is getting the different testing tools test the same project, one at the time, so basically install the first test tools run all the functional scenarios, then uninstall it, and install the second one and run the same above scenarios, and so on (I do have the time to do so). By doing so, I got ask myself is this a good practice from the QA point of view or not? Forget the cost and time, focus just on finding bugs and software quality and performance only.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

If you're evaluating, then that's a whole different scenario.

I would focus on how well the tool identifies the objects in your application. Also, if you are going to be the one using the tool, then how comfortable are you with the scripting language for the tool? Which one makes more sense? If you're evaluating for others, try to get them involved in using and evaluating. Try to guestimate the learning curve for each.

Ultimately, the best tool for environment will be the one that makes the most sense to you, is priced right, and can be learned fairly effectively. Since you have the time to play around with all of them, you can, but you might want to consider narrowing your scope to about 3-5 before using them directly. Your research may show that some won't do what you need and you can elimiate them and save yourself time right off.

------------------
    WinAmp. Llama Tested. Mother Approved.
    Jordan Gottlieb - Keeper of the QA Forums FAQ
    Qualitech Solutions, Inc.
    jgottlieb@qualitechsolutions.com
    Jordan Gottlieb
    Senior Consultant, Orasi Software
    Twitter: @JG_QA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Am I missing the point here?
    I always thought that the way you use the tool (by solid test planning/design) determines how well you test and not the tool itself.

------------------
    Roland
    Roland Stens

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast