Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Role of the QA team on a software development project

What is the role of the QA team on a software development project?

------------------
    Reji Itteera
    Testing Engineer
    Reggie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Role of the QA team on a software development project

The QA team in any organization is looking for two aspects:
    1) Internal Process
    2) Actual Product Quality.

1) Internal Process: QA team will define the whole processes for project/product development.
    2) Actual Product Quality: It will check the actual deliverable product/project quality of the basis of S/w requirement.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Will this Internal process includes Software Configuration Management?

------------------
    Reji Itteera
    Testing Engineer
    Reggie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Reji Itteera:
    Will this Internal process includes Software Configuration Management?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That generally depends on the environment. I have seen CM as a subset of QA, as Testing would be a subset of the overall, and I have seen CM as an autonomous department that ultimately reports to the head of IT/MIS.

As to your original question:

"What is the role of QA Team on a Software Development Project?", I would say that QA (speaking strictly of the QA responsibilities rather than those of test, which I do consider to be a subset) is to help design and provide resources for implementation of processes that will improve and maintain the quality of delivered applications.

QA helps to design processes and procedures for use by all teams within the SDLC of an organization, and helps the teams to understand the benefits of these processes so that quality can be engineered into an application. We shouldn't just say 'you should do things this way because it's better', but instead help people to understand the benefits of varous quality assurance and control procedures.

------------------
    ** To affect the Quality of the day, that is the highest of arts ** H.D. Thoreau

~ Annemarie Martin ~
    annemarie[dot]martin2[at]verizon[dot]net
    Annemarie Martin
    Secretary
    Association for Software Testing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I definitely agree with QAGirl. A good Quality Assurance team should be involved throughout the entire development lifecycle.

I believe that QA team should strive to teach and help the organization develop quality filters throughout every stage of the product development(i.e. Requirement Reviews, Building Use Cases, Validating the Design, Whitebox testing, and Building Robust Automation tools in parallel with Development).

Testing is only a very small part of the QA effort and it usually to late if we wait until the end to start designing quality into the product.

------------------
    Ken Ricketts
    ken_ricketts@hotmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thud:
    I definitely agree with QAGirl. A good Quality Assurance team should be involved throughout the entire development lifecycle.

I believe that QA team should strive to teach and help the organization develop quality filters throughout every stage of the product development(i.e. Requirement Reviews, Building Use Cases, Validating the Design, Whitebox testing, and Building Robust Automation tools in parallel with Development).

Testing is only a very small part of the QA effort and it usually to late if we wait until the end to start designing quality into the product.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A long time ago, I saw a chart showing the different costs of fixing a bug at various points in development, testing, and production. I can't remember where I saw it, but it can be very instructive about the value of early input from QA.

The upshot of the chart was that it was cheapest to fix a bug before coding had even started, and the cost rose continually, with fixing a bug that is already in production being the most expensive.

Makes a very effective argument in these lean times when management is watching the bottom line so closely.

------------------