Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

developing test plans & test cases

Hi everybody,
    Will somebody be generous to give me the steps to prepare test plans & test cases for a web application. thank u

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: developing test plans & test cases

kkedia,
    Might I suggest starting with the development of a Test Strategy? This will focus your efforts on how to achieve the best risk reduction "bang" for the least test effort "buck". There are so many variables involved in "testing": WHEN (test windows and stages of program integration), WHERE (unit level, integration level, system level), HOW (what approach, perhaps "Exploratory" testing would be best), WHY (which quality attributes are of greatest concern), WHAT (which requirements). The Test Strategy could also address other QA "detective" efforts besides "testing" per se... execution of program statements... ie Evaluations. Evaluations include requirement reviews, code reviews/inspections, etc. Then, the Test Plan could show how to implement the strategy you've chosen and hopefully depict the test case design method (if it wasn't covered already in the Test Strategy). A high level test scenario table could help out significantly and could be included here also.
    I would encourage you to take the time to document this thinking... and not worry if you'd made the best choices. Nobody consistantly chooses beforehand which test cases will detect the worst bugs when dealing with a new application. Good luck!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Well, this is somewhat of a broad statement. We have covered test casing and test planning within other threads here but I think one thing it would help us to know: what is your experience level in doing these things?

Forgive what may be seen as imprudence, but I am going to guess, just based on your posting itself, that you have little experience in doing either test casing or test planning. If I am wrong, I apologize. However, knowing someone's experience level is often the first step to really starting a discussion. It avoids us bringing up a lot of things you do not yet know and it also helps avoid rehasing things you already do know.

Beyond that, please understand that the "steps" to prepare test plans and test cases are somewhat general in their overall aspects, but do have some specifics that need to be considered in relation to your application and your environment. The most basic idea, of course, is to say: "The steps to prepare a test plan are to look at what you have to test, how you are going to test it, and the resources you are going to utilize or have available to test it. Then document that." That is a broad statement and probably not as helpful. But what we can do here is help you start to get more specific into how you can do this.

Likewise, the "steps to preparing test cases" might be to say something like: "Look at the main scenario paths in your application. Also look at all the variations that can occur along those paths; in other words, the different paths that can be taken but lead to the same result. Also look at the combinations and permutations that can occur along those paths, such as forms that have fields that can be filled out in certain ways." Again, however, that is broad and not as helpful. For example, it speaks nothing to any security you might have to consider. It does not really speak to what you should do once you have those combinations and permutations in mind.

So a good way to proceed, at this point, is for you to post a few details about (a) your experience level, (b) what you have done so far, and (c) some details about the Web application. With that I think we can start helping you work out a way for you to write up your test plans and your test cases.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

thanks jeff for u r reply.
    Yes i am new to the qa field and have not much experience. i would request u to kindly give me some suggesstion hoe to start as this is my first assignment and need to be completed asap.
    regards

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kkedia:
    Yes i am new to the qa field and have not much experience. i would request u to kindly give me some suggesstion hoe to start as this is my first assignment and need to be completed asap.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you tell us a little bit about the Web application you will be dealing with? I know you cannot reveal internal company details, of course, but can you give us a general idea of the basic structure of the site? For example, is it composed of a lot of forms? Does it use a lot of JavaScript? Is it geared for one browser or a lot of cross-browser compatibility? I am more looking for specific front-end details right now rather than back-end details, although those latter are important (such as, for example, if the site connects to a database).

This all will be helpful for us to know but it will also help get your thinking going in terms of exactly what you are going to have to test case. Being able to delineate the functionality of a given application is a large first step in writing out test plans and test cases.

Also it would help to know the following:

1. <LI>How long do you have to come up with test cases?
      <LI>How long will you have to actually test the product?
      <LI>Do you have requirements or specifications that you are referring to while you test?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

hi jeff

the application i am refering to is developed in ASP and Javascript to validations. The application has several forms and the user need to store data to database and also retrieve. I hope the description willbe uselful to u.

regards

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Okay, the validations and the several forms are a great place to consider from the standpoint of test casing. Also, the fact that there are "several" forms tells us that there is a path through the application. Presumably one path is for getting data into the database, and another path is getting data from the database. Yet another consideration is the elements on those forms, such as the various fields.

So obviously some things you are going to want to check, at a high-level, are (a) getting information into the database, (b) retrieving information from the database. That is more of a scenario-based test, of course, because you have to go through those forms to put the data in the database and to retrieve the data from it. In other words, a user will go through a certain set of actions (on the forms, presumably) that will allow them to insert data or retrieve it. So let us consider things, first, at the level of those forms.

You have to consider that your forms are going to be validated - and this is presumably so that the information going into the database will be valid. To that extent you have to ask yourself this: what validation occurs on each form? For example, if you have a "Name" text field and that field should only accept letters, then the validation that will occur for that form element is a check that it does, in fact, only contain letters.

So you are going to want to test if that element functions as it is supposed to and also that it does not function as it is not supposed to.

<font color="#0000ff">Exercise:</font> So now how would you test that? Can you think of some examples of how to test that type of form element? In other words, how would you test that it does what it is supposed to? How would you test that it does not do something that it is not supposed to?

(I want to try to help you figure some of this out for yourself because that will most effectively help you apply this thinking in the future.)

Now, as another example, let us say one of your form pages has certain fields that are required and others that are optional. Obviously the idea is that the user must enter the required fields but does not have to enter the optional fields.

<font color="#0000ff">Exercise:</font> Can you think of what you would do to test what I just described above?

(Note: I am abstracting things out a little at this point. I am not considering the distinction of client-based and server-based validation steps. I am also not considering the nature of browser differences. I am just looking at the basic functionality that you have described.)

------------------