Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Richmond, VA, USA
    Post Thanks / Like
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

QA/Testing Presentation - ideas?

Hi --

I manage a QA & Testing group and need to give a presentation for everyone in my department about our team and what we do. The audience is 60-70 people who are a mixture of everyone involved in our ecommerce operation -- i.e. developers, merchandisers, marketing, various business types. So I intend to cover our mission statement, fairly high-level definitions of QA & Test, levels/types of testing, the tools we use, general process review. But the question --- how to keep it fairly light and interesting so they don't glaze over?

I was thinking of incorporating either some real world examples of problems that could have been prevented by better quality control and/or quality assurance OR maybe movie clips or examples of the same. Can y'all help me with some interesting examples? Or any other suggestions for keeping the presentation light/interesting?

Post Thanks / Like
    0 Post(s)
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: QA/Testing Presentation - ideas?

This is kind of tough to answer sometimes simply because presentations can so much depend upon the crowd. You have to sort of gauge their reactions (or lack of them) as you go along. To that end, I try to style my own presentations of various topics such that I can sort of shift focus when and if I need to. With that, I have been mulling over how to respond to this. Instead of a lot of tight details into specifics, I will just give you a broad swath through how my mind works on this subject.

Obviously you have a relatively large crowd and it sounds like quite a diverse crowd. When I am in those situations I try to tailor my presentation such that it is roughly applicable to all of them. In other words, they can see practical details in what I am talking about rather than adhering to "mission statements" or "high-level" discussions of how Quality "fits" into the organization. I avoid making banal statements that everyone already knows ("quality is important to e-commerce") or theorizing on how QA "should" help the organization.

Rather I focus on what "will" help the organization and I explain that in practical terms that each of the groups represented in the audience can (hopefully) appreciate. I find that analogies can help here if they are kept relatively simple and to the point. I avoid "real world" examples unless it will be manifestly clear why the "real world" example is relevant and eminently practical to the discussion. (Many companies and people within them have trouble relating what happened "somewhere else" to what "might happen" here, and that applies whether the context is good or bad.)

One thing you do not state is the length of time you have for this prsentation. It sounds like you pretty much set the pace and that is good. In that case, however, what I like to do is prior to the presentation ask representatives from each group that will be in the audience, what they would most likely have questions about regarding QA or testing. In other words, if they could have one question answered as to how QA applies to them, what would it be? I then take that to heart and see how I can work that in.

There is more that I could go into, but I just wanted to give you a smattering of details - and, remember, I am, of course, just speaking from my own experiences. I would be happy to discuss this more and I hope other people will join in.