SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Points for Confirmed Friends

Helpdesk Quality Assurance

I couldn't find a place to ask this question, I thought maybe this could be a good start. If anyone has another website or discussion group site where I can post this, please tell me.

Hey folks, I'm new here. This is the only Quality discussion in my news server, so forgive me if it is not the appropriate place.

I would like to implement some quality in a Computer Helpdesk department. I have training in DMAIC-Six Sigma from a previous job (Green Belt), so I know just a little about quality. For the past 2 years I have participated in quality projects that were successful.

My question is that what ideas would you folks have on how to start a quality initiative in a helpdesk department? What type of baselining should we do? What type of improvements should be done? I have my own ideas, but I am hoping that I can get ideas from other quality folks here.

Thanks in advance for the responses!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Helpdesk Quality Assurance

I used to work as a Help desk adn network support intern before, and now work as a Quality Engineer. As I recall, we never let the phone ring for more than 4 times. If this case happens too often we need to hire more people. Always shows your documentation or statistic of your uppper management of how many calls you guys have responded, how many resolved, how many are un-resolvable and how does your team escalate them. Help Desk department survival is about showing statistics to others.. that's my opinion..

Some other factors are hard to measure such as sub-ordinate attitutdes towards incoming call, or complaints. You have to find way to measure that. In our case, we sit close to each other, and it is kind of watching each other back.

Good luck.

------------------
    How many ways can I break your code
    ================================
    IBM Certified Database Administrator
    Sun Certified Java Programmer
    Oracle Certified Associate

Points for Confirmed Friends

Thank you. I will definitely keep your post in mind when starting this quality initiative.

Would you recommend any books on quality, specifically relating to a computer helpdesk department?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

There isn't a lot of software testing book out there, no to mentione Quality book for Help desk. I think SOftware QA is very much different to HelpDesk QA. Probably Quality Control may be closer.

Testing Computer Software, Second Edition
    Softcover
    480 Pages
    Edition: 2nd Edition
    Published by Wiley, John & Sons, Incorporated
    Date Published: 04/1999
    ISBN: 0471358460

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by E-Quality:
    how many calls you guys have responded, how many resolved, how many are un-resolvable and how does your team escalate them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never worked on a Help Desk, but another statistic I've seen our Help Desk publish is the length of time to resolve the problems (e.g., 40% resolved in under an hour, 98% on same day, etc.)

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

It sounds like you want to track Help Desk statistics and to be able to report on them. If I am right try "help desk software" in your favorite search engine.

We use Remedy with great success.

------------------
    Brooks Wright
    University of California at Davis
    USA

"I tried turning my life around, I did a 360"
    Brooks Wright
    University of California at Davis
    USA
    I tried turning my life around, I did a 360

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brooks Wright:
    It sounds like you want to track Help Desk statistics and to be able to report on them. If I am right try "help desk software" in your favorite search engine.

We use Remedy with great success.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh Yes, this word popped up again. Yes, we used this software before.. it's been awhile for me ....

------------------