Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Defect Report Resubmit Rates

I am looking for any work done on defect report resubmit rates.
    That is, what percent of defects reports get "returned" to testers (as "not a problem" or "corrected"), only to be returned back to developers later.

Does anyone know of any such studies or "industry averages"?

I have looked through a few books and have not seen anything related to this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MRené, CSTP
    Software Quality Engineer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Defect Report Resubmit Rates

This varies because it is so subjective. There are different (relatively) absolute variables like number of bugs in the system, definition of a defect, and number of testers. Then there are tons of super-dynamic variables like the priority of the defect found, the number of other defects and relative priority, number of concurrent projects and relative difficulty, and the difficulty of the requirements being coded.

I would argue that this would even change per project inside a stable development group.
    Thanks,
    Tim Van Tongeren

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'd definitely agree with Tim on this one. There are a few threads here where people discuss the Resubmission rates within their own companies or projects, but it is very specific to the team/company/application/defect flow.

Keep in mind that if you have Change Management Board or a similar group, something that is returned as "not a defect" wouldn't fall into the same categorization as defects that are marked 'fixed' by development when they truly aren't. One is a lack of actually fixing the defect, and the other would be a change determined by who is marking the defect 'not a bug'.

Out of curiosity, why do you ask?? Perhaps if you provide the context of your question, we can help provide some good information. Generally, when people are looking for such stats, it's for a very good reason.

------------------
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved..."
    Annemarie Martin
    Secretary
    Association for Software Testing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

At the company I work for, we have pretty consistent "resubmit" rates.

I am wondering how they compare to other's experiences --- can you point me to other threads?

Also, I am doing a presentation to a local SQA group and I am looking for supporting material
    One of the topics will be "resubmits".
    Our corporate defect tracking tool has detailed reports to track these resubmits (they are a pet peeve of mine).
    MRené, CSTP
    Software Quality Engineer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

mrene,

One way to generate responses to a query like yours is to share your answer first.

So, if you have consistent resubmit rates, then what is the rate?

I have not seen resubmit rates become consistent any place I have worked.
    Where I work now, it ranges from almost 0% to almost 30%. It depends on the developer, and the characteristics of the project. We used to see higher rates when we had more junior developers.

------------------
    - Joe (strazzerj@aol.com)
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jstrazzere:
    mrene,

I have not seen resubmit rates become consistent any place I have worked.
    Where I work now, it ranges from almost 0% to almost 30%. It depends on the developer, and the characteristics of the project. We used to see higher rates when we had more junior developers.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have never collected that stat either where I have worked. In my experience, its not that common - I guess our defect repairs are pretty accurate.

------------------
    JRica, CSTE
    Software QA Engineer Lead
    JRicardo
    Senior SQA Analyst