Thread: bug assignment

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

bug assignment

Who does the bug assigning in your companies. Our Development Manager does. QA enters bugs, they all are initially assigned to the DM, and he reassigns them to the appropriate coder....although, he leaves many bugs still assigned to himself so the coder doesn't see them. The bugs are prioritized by Product Managers, so it's not like a developer isn't going to know where to start or which bugs he should concentrate on. I think it's a case of micro-management. Thoughts?

------------------
    --
    --

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: bug assignment

A lot of it depends on the environment - in ours, there is a similar set-up on most projects. The Dev Manager is responsible for assigning defects to the coder for fixes. If there are defects that are not being addressed because he neglects to re-assign them, I'd say that is more of bad management than micro-management. Have you asked why they're 'sitting'? Perhaps he has a reason for delaying certain defects for a period of time. It could be resources, other coding in progress that may alleviate defects, or a number of other things.

I agree with you that Project Management prioritizes defects, but ultimately, the Dev Manager will still know the capabilities, skill set, and workload of his coders, and is best suited to determine who should work on a given defect.

Again, in some cases, there are underlying problems that aren't being discussed. One manner of addressing this might be Change Management Boards or Defect Review Boards. Typically, all "New" defects are reviewed for prioritization, but I have often additionally reviewed outstanding 'Assigned' defects. If he's continually asked to answer for the defects assigned to him, you'll quickly know if it's micro-management or a deeper issue. CMBs/DRBs are an excellent tool at any rate, and something you may want to consider if you don't already have such meetings implemented.

------------------
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved..."
    Annemarie Martin
    Secretary
    Association for Software Testing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'm a big fan of autonomy. I prefer to have testers assign bugs directly to the developer responsible for that code.

If you accidentally assign it to the wrong developer, they can simply re-assign it to the correct developer (and when it's assigned back to you for re-test, you see who really fixed it).

There is the priority gottcha. I don't think testers should be allowed to set priorities (severity yes, priority no). This means someone (or board) needs to review newly logged bugs, which could also be the logical place to assign them to developers.

I've been on a couple projects where the leads (front-end and back-end) insisted they review every bug, then assigned them to "their people." This was a complete disaster. The leads were always in meetings and were also responsible for coding, so they never had time to review bugs. This effectively stopped testing (no fixes were being turned around) and the developers were idle (because no bugs were assigned to them) even though there was a ton of work to do.

Some of your sharper programmers will grad bugs assigned to them before a priority is assigned to the bug and fix it.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Development Managers or Leads should be responsible for bug assignment so your company is doing it right.
    You may think you know which Component or which Area of your AUT is at fault, but no won't know how the Development team had their areas are assigned. If a Developer is working on a "hot" project, even if you knew that the bug you submitted should go to him, his/her manager may want to assign that bug to somebody else.
    This portion of the Bug Tracking System is no big deal anyway (it does not matter who the bug is assigned to). As long as it gets looked at or responded to and eventually gets "fixed" and "closed".

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

jeni:

If my company followed the procedures that your company did I would be a happy Boy!!! Your companies way makes the most sense

------------------
    Don

If you don't like my driving then stay off the SIDEWALK!!!!!