Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Best Approach to Define a Structured Product Development Process?

Here we go....the management team (SVP of Tech/Ops, VP of Engineering, VP of Operations and Director of QA (me)) at my company have finally decided that now is the correct time to define and implement a structured product development process. One concern I have is that the CEO and COO (we don't have a CTO) are not involved in this decision and I don't believe they'll be involved in the defining and implementation of the process. The whole "support from the top" aspect will be missing.

In regulated industries the CEO would directly support the implementation of such a key process. My current company isn't in a regulated field. I know how the defining and implementation of a structured product development process would work in a regulated industry. A task force or project team would be formed to review the pertinent regulation, review the company's current PDP (flowcharting on a white board)and then determine what needs to change in order to meet the regulation. Key managers would be on the task force and once an agreement was reached on the PDP, the process would be documented, signed and supported by the CEO.

What approach is used in non-regulated technology companies? Just curious if the same approach is used. If not, what approach is typically used?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Best Approach to Define a Structured Product Development Process?

Hmm? May be you tell us, what you mean be regulated and not regulated technology companies?
    The next step I would do is do get the support from the top:
    - presenting the decision/idea with the reasons
    - showing the next steps and alternatives
    - getting them giving you an OK and a budget

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rsteins:
    Hmm? May be you tell us, what you mean be regulated and not regulated technology companies?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

By regulated, I mean companies operating in industries such as medical devices, aerospace or defense. Each of these industries must comply with certain government regulations or standards which control the development and manufacturing processes. Examples of non-regulated industries are..I guess..most dot coms, PC, video game, etc...

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ok - now I understand what you mean.
    In those not regulated companies it has to be a vital interest that the production process works - fast, at low cost, with minimum failures,...

Maybe you have to proove the ROI in your process definition and do all the TQM stuff to calculate (don't want to go in all those details)?
    I think it is a good idea to get the CEO and COO involved in the decision and also the people (out your management team) which will operate it.
    As this is a very general discussion level I can not give more detailed hints...

Ralph

------------------