I need help fast. Has anyone ever tested a DCOM application? I am looking for a testing tool to use to test a three tier application. The client and the application server are developed in VB and the client communicate to the application server with DCOM while the application server communicate to the SQL server database with ADO. What tool do you recommend? I have tried LoadRunner and QALoad, they did not capture the DCOM transactions.
I am not so sure about QALoad but I know that LoadRunner can test DCOM applications. However, I also know you have to be careful because the protocol can be tricky to test because there are "extraneous" calls that can offest your performance test results.
Also, I know that Segue's SilkPerformer can handle DCOM traffic. But, again, you have to be careful. These tools cannot tell you much about extraneous calls because those calls are not always to the back-end and thus the transaction pathing can be misleading. The location transparency aspects of DCOM can also cause some trouble depending upon your implementation.
Keep in mind that Microsoft has the Application Performance Explorer which can look at service time resource issues to a certain extent.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eomoerah: I have tried LoadRunner and QALoad, they did not capture the DCOM transactions.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You can develop your own tool using available DCOM components. In this case you can reuse the communications and transactional functionality.
It took one month for one co-op student to develop such tool for me.