Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

MS Dropping Support For Windows 95

Microsoft is dropping support for it's Windows 95 platform. Are you all accepting this as the same moment to stop testing on this platform and dropping support in your applications? How is it effecting your support of MSIE versions?

------------------

Here's the official MS statement:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle.asp

[This message has been edited by digits71 (edited 12-12-2001).]

Points for Confirmed Friends

Re: MS Dropping Support For Windows 95

Kerchinnng!!!! Is this hot of the press. Is there a link.

------------------
    Software Testing FAQ http://www.cigital.com/c.s.t.faq.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Most of the places I had recently been at had long ago dropped Windows 95 support and testing. That was because there was almost no one, in the client base, that was still using Windows 95. In fact, in many places it was literally no one at all!

Some of the places I was at dropped Win95 support when Win98SE came out (as opposed to Win98) and some of the others dropped Win95 when WinME came out. In any event, the users still on Windows 95 (particularly corporate users) was vanishingly small. This was mainly because (1.) the latest software requires the newer operating systems, (2.) new computers do not come with Windows 95, (3.) Windows 95 does not support FAT32 and thus a lot of the larger drives without software support, (4.) corporate incentives to upgrade are quite high.

Beyond that, many places drop support for a product if the company that makes the product drops support for it as well. For example, for a variety of reasons, most Web companies do not support Netscape 1.0 or 2.0. and others do not support anything that Netscape does not support. In browsers there is good reason for this since it is so easy to upgrade and usually worth it. This is not always the case with operating systems so I think a lot of times it depends on the client base that is still using Win95.

In fact, in most places I was at if you wanted to test on Windows 95 (and get machines to do so) you had to provide a cost-benefit analysis and statement of reason.

As far as strict browsers, this will probably start to lessen the need for IE 4.x and lead to a concentration on IE 5.x and 6.x. Industry-wide, however, that is pretty much what was already happening. Most companies now actively encourage their users to upgrade browsers because of all the benefits to doing so: (1.) increased security, (2.) better memory usage, (3.) better functionality, (4.) increased standards support.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

In my industry (web design), we have to support that which is still represented by the surfing public. Windows 95 still has about a 10% presence (believe it or not).

I was just wondering what the impact was on the rest of you.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by digits71:
    In my industry (web design), we have to support that which is still represented by the surfing public. Windows 95 still has about a 10% presence (believe it or not).
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting. What study quoted that 10% number? Was that a worldwide figure? Did it account for browser headers that say Win95 but are, in fact, running on a different operating system? (Similar to how many Opera browsers "claim" to be Internet Explorer.)

I ask because I have seen studies that say much less than that but I also saw one study (of thirteen nations) that had the number at 25%. This was reported in IEEE Spectrum last month but indicated that the study was flawed because of how Win95 usage was determined.

Either way, 10% is still pretty significant - potentially. It depends on whether you do anything that the operating system affects within the context of the browser.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Sorry, I'm working from home today so I don't have the links. But ANY study these days is a little tainted. I take every stat with a grain of salt because as you said - there are many contributing factors which may influence the results.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Did the numbers MS stated surprise any of you? I have to admit that starting to phase out Windows 98 as soon as June 30, 2002 (that's only 6 months away) surprised me. It's still the most popular OS utilized by the surfing public today. I know that money talks, but this one may hit some opposition from the public.

Desktop operating systems entering Extended phase (effective date):

Windows 95 (December 31, 2000)*
    Windows 98 / 98 SE (June 30, 2002)*
    Windows NT 4.xx (June 30, 2002)
    Windows 2000 (March 31, 2003)

Desktop operating systems entering Non-Supported phase (effective date):

MS DOS x.xx (December 31, 2001)
    Windows 3.xx (December 31, 2001)
    Windows 95 (November 30, 2001) ***
    Windows NT 3.5x (December 31, 2001)
    Windows 98/98 SE (June 30, 2003)*
    Windows NT 4.xx (June 30, 2003)

------------------

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JeffNyman:
    Interesting. What study quoted that 10% number?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You can get these numbers from your web server log file.
    For example we (Toronto, Canada) had 13% of Win95 in May.
    ------------------
    Yury
    (yurym {at} hotmail [dot] com)

[This message has been edited by Yury (edited 12-12-2001).]
    Yury
    Testing, Performance Testing, Performance Engineering

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by digits71:
    Did the numbers MS stated surprise any of you? I have to admit that starting to phase out Windows 98 as soon as June 30, 2002 (that's only 6 months away) surprised me. It's still the most popular OS utilized by the surfing public today.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, Windows 98 somewhat surprised me. Although Microsoft is pushing hard for companies and individuals to get on Win2000 or WinXP. (At the very least they want home users on WinME.)

To a certain extent, what they are trying to do is good in that there are way too many Windows versions out there right now. (Of course, whose fault is that?!) They also realize that they finally do have a stable architecture (relatively speaking) in Win2K and WinXP. Yes, it is not perfect but it is certainly better than Win98 and it is light-years distant from Win95 and offers the better "compatibility with stability" than WinNT.

You also have to figure Win95 was basically just Win3.1x with a lot of "thunking" going on. And the first edition of Win98 certainly removed a lot of those problems, but not all. Plus Win95 and Win98 did not offer things like USB support (until Win98SE) as well as other features. So to keep up with hardware and software, they have to start cleaning house a little and force users to get onto more up-to-date versions.

So while the public may disagree I really do believe it is in the best interests of the public to upgrade. (I also agree, however, that Microsoft has not made this easy by having so many concurrent versions and then telling users "THIS is the one you have to own.")

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Yury:
    You can get these numbers from your web server log file.
    For example we (Toronto, Canada) had 13% of Win95 in May.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I knew that - I was just surprised at the number and I was not sure if Digits was saying ten percent in relation to just her company or about a study of users worldwide or a study of users in Canada.

The last six or so places that I have been at had absolutely negligble Win95 usage. In fact, in some cases we found that the header string was reporting "Windows 95" but, in fact, the users were on a different operating system. (Granted, that was a comparatively rare occurence.)

------------------

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast