SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Points for Confirmed Friends

Conference about start it all over again - a new project

Hi,
    It is not my first visit here, but its seems like a great place to get info with many experts friends, so I want to ask you some hard questions, please take a sit….

We are starting to develop new line of projects, which will be the next generation of ITV, broadcast server.
    Currently our development leads writing new spec and design documents, and we are about to read them and to note and remark and, of course, derivate new tests, as well.

Mine questions are:
    I do not know how to do it! Seems like it is a big opportunity to fix and repair some our testing procedures, but im afraid that ill miss something and do not come to the F day (the code freeze day) ready enough. We are expecting to test the app as quick as we can.
    When we started to work on the previous project we was a start up company, anyone test anything, and the test suits grow and grow until we get an opulence tests book.

First - I got a spec document about multiplexing audio and video into single transport stream. What kind of tests shall I run? How can I 'Debug' documents which wrote by professional development leaders and what is the expected outcome from such process? Shall I add my testing wish list into the spec documents?

Second questions: our new broadcast server builds from some applications with GUI and some libraries, which will be included in other application, which will develop at other location, far away over the sea. Thus, we should test them as deepest as we can to find the most of the bugs. How you test libraries? Shall I ask for specific tool as host application? Is there any tool which could communicate with libraries and publish statistics (performances, network, cooperation with other application, et cetera)?

Third question – what is the right process to derivate test cases from Design documents?
    I think about Design Doc -> STD per module (include test suites) -> test cases, automation and manual.
    Tia,

Yuval

------------------
    Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Conference about start it all over again - a new project

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Yuval Azulay:
    I do not know how to do it! Seems like it is a big opportunity to fix and repair some our testing procedures, but im afraid that ill miss something and do not come to the F day (the code freeze day) ready enough. We are expecting to test the app as quick as we can.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, so it sounds like you have to plan out your test effort to a large extent. In other words, you need to start thinking about a test methodology. That might give you some idea of "how to do it." You are going to want to consider the problems you had by your former procedure of testing the app "as quick as you could" and consider how you can streamline that process to make it more repeatable and to make sure that you are testing all areas of the application, particularly those that are critical.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>First - I got a spec document about multiplexing audio and video into single transport stream. What kind of tests shall I run?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, obviously, the details of these tests will depend on how this audio and video is generated and presented. There is also a heavy notion of performance here. In other words, performance testing will be a big thing. The multiplexing aspects will bring up a lot of run conditions (meaning conditions where things have to sync up in a certain way). However, the details of this are hard to say given what information you have provided. It can run the gamut from the means by which you broadcast the information as well as things like audio quality and distortion levels.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>How can I 'Debug' documents which wrote by professional development leaders and what is the expected outcome from such process?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would be handy to know what the "documents" in question are. However, in general, you are going to look for things like consistency - the document should not contradict itself. You should be looking to see if the document is ambiguous at any points - i.e., you can really not tell what is being said or it could be interpreted in multiple ways. You can look for completeness - is all of the information present? You can also look for testabilitly. In other words, based on what the document is describing, can you determine ways to prove that what the document says should happen does, in fact, happen? That will be quite important.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Shall I add my testing wish list into the spec documents?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In general, you will most likely write up a test plan. That will be your "wish list" so to speak and then you will generate specific test cases that complement the details of what will be tested.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>How you test libraries?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The libraries presumably expose methods or variables. So testing those methods and variables is going to be paramount: making sure they can be called in the first place, for example.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Shall I ask for specific tool as host application? Is there any tool which could communicate with libraries and publish statistics (performances, network, cooperation with other application, et cetera)?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As far as the host application, you can do that, or you can use the development environment and test the libraries at that level as part of your unit testing - where you test the code directly. You can also build a simple wrapper application that processes the methods from the library. If the libraries return specific host-relevant information or generate host-relevant changes (such as GUI changes), then you need the host application itself. And, yes, there are tools that can help with unit testing - but how helpful they are depends on the language you are using. You can cover some of this in your functional/behavioral testing, particularly the "cooperation with other application" part.

Overall, I think you need to make a distinction between levels of testing. In this case, between unit testing and functional/behavioral testing.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Third question – what is the right process to derivate test cases from Design documents?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is no "right" process, per se, except that which gives you a wide spread of test cases that simualte a variety of test conditions that adequately put the system (application) in those conditions/states and work such that you can determine a pass/fail result. So there is no "right" necessairly - but there are better and worse processes for test cases that depend on the nature of your design documents. In other words, what kind of viable information can you get from them? Are the design documents comprehensive enough that you can derive enough useful test cases? Also remember that negative testing will come into play as well. As far as performance testing, if your design documents do not delineate SLAs (Service Level Agreements) then you have to account for that as well. There are also usability test cases to consider. Finally, design documents are not always the best for deriving all test cases - although it depends on how you define "design documents." For example, if your design documents are really functional specifications or really requirements specifications, then you have a better chance because you can look for functional areas that can be tested and then consider combinations and permutations to those functional areas.

Within those combinations and permutations you are going to want to consider negative conditions. You are basically looking at doing positive testing and negative testing. Briefly, positive testing is that testing which proves that the unit (method, function, system, etc.) does what it is supposed to do. Negative testing is that testing which proves that the unit does not do anything that it is not supposed to do.

So you have to keep all that in mind when you are looking at deriving test cases since documentation will sometimes only tell some of the story of what you should test.

Does this help a little? A lot of what I said here is general just because I was responding only to a general idea of what your documents actually are and what your system is actually doing.

------------------