Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Well of course EVERYONE knows about testing!

Why is that EVERYONE in my company thinks that they are Testing Experts??

For example, you issue a test plan stating that this is a NEW web app, and we're adding a NEW type of database therefore all functionality which calls on the database needs to be tested.

And you get management stating that: Well not all of that needs to be tested on each database!!!!

Not only that, rather than buy a load test tool they want me to start load testing in 2 weeks and they want a developer to write a fully functional tool in 2 weeks.

I am competent, I am verbose, I can explain things very well and do ALL the time. Yet management think they know better and tell you that the consequences you have told them will occur if they go down a certain route won't happen.
    And guess who's to blame!

Is this just my company or is this all over?

They cite QA as a bottleneck here but won't accept why QA is a bottleneck (there is 1 tester, 1 manager/tester and 10 projects at one time in test including major software releases and load tests)

Am I going insane? I think I am! Sanity is at an all time level of depletion.

Please tell me I am not alone!

------------------
    Amanda Follit
    Head of QA Dept
    London

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Well of course EVERYONE knows about testing!

You are not alone

really, it's the most underrated and misunderstood thing there is! Good luck with hardening yourself up to more and more of the same dissapointing cr*p over the years!

Jules

------------------
    Today I lost it. The what-ja-ma-call-it, the thingy-people and the whoever they were
    Softly, Softly catchee monkey...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by afollit:
    And you get management stating that: Well not all of that needs to be tested on each database!!!!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Risk management - you can't test everything, so management (hopefully in a thoughtful manner) decides to cut certain test cases. I agree - I always want to test everything. I'm not sloppy about it either; I will optimize my test cases with equivalence class partitioning and combining as many independent variables as I can. But, ultimately, you raised the concerns in your initial, thorough test plan. If management doesn't want to execute those tests then they are assuming the risk and responsibility.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by afollit:

Not only that, rather than buy a load test tool they want me to start load testing in 2 weeks and they want a developer to write a fully functional tool in 2 weeks.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Build versus buy - managers have people on staff, but no budget for tool acquisitions. It may not even be cheaper to grow your own, but their hands are tied. I agree - it's frustrating.

Start load testing late - yep, big problem. Most people think you can do this at the end of the test lifecycle. Unfortunately, when load problems are found, they are often related to the architecture which requires large changes to the code and subsequently, large retests.

------------------
    Thanks,
    Tim Van Tongeren
    Thanks,
    Tim Van Tongeren

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

And you get management stating that: Well not all of that needs to be tested on each database!!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But does it really need to be completely tested on all new databases? If you can ascertain core functionality against the DB, then there is no reason to believe that higher-level functionality would differ.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Not only that, rather than buy a load test tool they want me to start load testing in 2 weeks and they want a developer to write a fully functional tool in 2 weeks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depending on the complexity of the application, and what exactly needs to be load tested, 2 weeks is often more than sufficient to write a load testing tool. Often proprietary load testing tools often have significant advantages over more generic tools .

If you want a specific tool, or have a specific reason to do more complete tests on the DB, then I would say you need to formulate a clear argument to management, and the engineers.

------------------
    &lt;edA-qa@disemia.com&gt;
    Quality Assurance
    --
    edA-qa@disemia.com
    TestPlan - Superior Web Application Automation & Testing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

As Tim alluded to, sometimes, there is just a 'different language' being spoken between non-testers and testers.

There's actually a tremendous article from James Bach in this month's STQE Magazine, titled "Explaining Testing to THEM". In a rather amusing manner, Bach relates a typical 'hallway' conversation with a Project Manager, and his own thoughts as he formulates answers to the questions.

Very honest (saying things like "He's a jerk, and I should slap him silly. Heck, I'll quit. I don't need this") and insightful article - I recommend it highly when you're at the 'end of your rope'.

------------------
    Annemarie Martin
    Secretary
    Association for Software Testing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Risk management I do and totally agree with However, they want minimum tested with no possible risks...no can do. I ahve tried this approach and 'released' the product notifying of risks and dependencies etc etc and they said then that isn't fully QAd. No win no win situation.

The application has been written differently for the different databases and is extremely complex with it's filtering, Bayesian inferences, classification engines, personalisation etc etc

The documentation was totally descoped to just technical API docs which STILL do not cover everything as the developers have not been allowed the time.

I am not new to this game and have over 5 years of experience...but this is the first time I have come across things as bad as this.
    At least in the past you can explain things and they are taken on board and accepted.
    Here you can tell them until you are blue in the face, if it does eventually happen then it was your fault too!

As for the load test tool, the developer who has 2 weeks is also developing for the major product at the same time and has no idea what load testing is about. These figures are what they will be quoting to customers as 'benchmark' figures!

And as for staff and tools - we ain't got either!

Oh what fun!

------------------
    Amanda Follit
    Head of QA Dept
    London

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

QA Girl...sounds just like what I need! I am going to go and hunt it down! Thanks!

------------------
    Amanda Follit
    Head of QA Dept
    London

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Mortoray: It's not all being tested on each Db. I have narrowed it down just as you said however that will still take too long.

It's a product that has taken 4 years to develop and we are testing it in 6 weeks with only 1 tester.

------------------
    Amanda Follit
    Head of QA Dept
    London

Points for Confirmed Friends

What environment are you load testing.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The app is Java on NT4
    We have a separate classification engine on another NT 4 machine

Apache Tomcat/SQL2000 for the app's data and a physically separate but same config Db for Client's data
    Apache Tomcat/Oracle 8i for the app's data and a physically separate but same config Db for Client's data

That's the basics of it

------------------
    Amanda Follit
    Head of QA Dept
    London

[This message has been edited by afollit (edited 11-08-2001).]