Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Testing ethical questions.

I don't understand how this is an ethical question. The length of the test plan is not an indication of the length of time it takes to test the software. I don't think it's inherently deceptive to have a large test plan for a small test effort.
    Thanks,
    Tim Van Tongeren

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by qa_tester:
    I assume ur talking about test plan not test cases right? If so, I have a standard template that I used to write all my test plans for all my projects. So times I have a huge project which required 50 or more pages, and sometimes I have small project but I still need at least 20 pages. I know I can write only 5 page for the small project, but there are some standard information I need to include. Do you see my point?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Standard procedures are we do it from test plan, test cases, configure and execute.

------------------
    How many ways can I break your code
    ================================
    IBM Certified Database Administrator
    Sun Certified Java Programmer
    Oracle Certified Associate

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Testing ethical questions.

Should you prepare a 12 pages test plan for just testing a single test requirement and only take 15 minutes for testing it, and you have already know the result of the test, since the code is so short and simple.

------------------
    How many ways can I break your code
    ================================
    IBM Certified Database Administrator
    Sun Certified Java Programmer
    Oracle Certified Associate

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'll probably get blasted for this but here goes:

If you feel that you could prove the quality of the code with less testing - do it. Sometimes "Business Requirements" override "Technical Requirements". Let's face it, most of us could write test cases until we were blue in the face for even the simplest of systems!

It often comes with experience, but there is a time when 'enough' is better than 'all'.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<pre>
    IF(you work in a ISO or CMM certified shop
    OR you have similar doc. requirements) {
    IF(this "simple code" == stand-alone product) {
    you probably have to create that test plan;
    }
    ELSE {
    you should be able to fold these test cases into
    an existing test plan;
    }
    }
    ELSE {
    what Digits said;
    }</pre>

------------------
    Charles Reace

charles{DOT}reace{AT}verizon{DOT}net
    web site | [url=http://www.ebookworm.us/[/url]

[i]...Sound trumpets! Every trumpet in the host! / Sixty thousand, on these words, sound, so high the mountains sound, and the valleys resound.&lt;/i] (The Song of Roland)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I think it's really at your discretion. If I absolutely had to do it then I would. Personally, I would not do it. I would document what I did but I wouldn't go through such extensive work for such a small feature.
    This is NOT to say that I would not study the requirements, analyze how it works, and not test it thuroughly. I would analyze the requirements and test it thuroughly. Some people may have the time to write up an extensive test plan for one requirement. I usually don't. As an example, I can't imagine writing up a 12 page test plan for an added message box where there wasn't one before. Again that's just me. I'd probably think differently if the one requirement was some kind of complex data pull.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by E-Quality:
    Should you prepare a 12 pages test plan for just testing a single test requirement and only take 15 minutes for testing it, and you have already know the result of the test, since the code is so short and simple.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
    droman26
    LEGALIZE UPDOC!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Charles,

I *have* to believe you've finished testing the release you mentioned recently, or you have a lot of time on your hands waiting for another build!!

However, I agree with most of what's been stated here. If there's a good reason to be doing such extensive documentation, then you should - otherwise, sometimes the 'best' way isn't always the most formal. (gasp! From me???)

------------------
    Annemarie Martin
    Secretary
    Association for Software Testing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I assume ur talking about test plan not test cases right? If so, I have a standard template that I used to write all my test plans for all my projects. So times I have a huge project which required 50 or more pages, and sometimes I have small project but I still need at least 20 pages. I know I can write only 5 page for the small project, but there are some standard information I need to include. Do you see my point?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by QAGirl:
    Charles,

I *have* to believe you've finished testing the release you mentioned recently, or you have a lot of time on your hands waiting for another build!!
    . . .
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yep, they're building as I type here. We'll get the drop late this afternoon/early this evening, and they'll want me to do 3 days worth of testing on it in time for tomorrow's 2:00pm ship/don't ship conference call. In other words, the usual.

------------------
    Charles Reace

charles{DOT}reace{AT}verizon{DOT}net
    web site | [url=http://www.ebookworm.us/[/url]

[i]...Sound trumpets! Every trumpet in the host! / Sixty thousand, on these words, sound, so high the mountains sound, and the valleys resound.&lt;/i] (The Song of Roland)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

well i try to document it somewhere or the other so as to record the test case .. usually i combine alot of small requirememtns in a single test case ...

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast