Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Interviewer Perspective

We've had large discussions regarding being the interviewee - what about being the interviewer? What do you look for? What do you find irritating that potential staff often do? What do you find 'makes or breaks' an interview?

I thought it might be nice to hear the other perspective

------------------

i.e. I had a person who came in exactly on time (not a moment to spare), all flustered, not dressed appropriately and only wanted to talk about money. They didn't give me the impression that they were interested in the work or in being a team player.

[This message has been edited by digits71 (edited 08-31-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Interviewer Perspective

Interviewer Secrets Revealed I

Note: Resumes don't mean *that* much to me. I use that as more of a filter.

A couple of things I like:
    - The individual can describe their role in their previous positions.
    - They can describe (in detail) the last 1 or 2 applications that they tested
    - When asked a technical or non-technical question that they can't answer... be honest!
    - They can concisely tell me why they want to be a software tester.
    - They can work as an individual as well as a team environment.
    A couple of things I don't like:
    - Not looking professional (there will be plenty of time for that after they are hired)
    - Not being on time
    - Not being able to answer basic testing questions
    - Not being able to answer basic technology questions

There are sooo many things.. but these are basics.. it also depends heavily on the position they are applying for.

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I can spot an "evangelist" a mile away. And I won't hire such people. The dev/tester relationship is tough enough without having someone coming in with an attitude.

I also won't hire someone who thinks they know everything. (I have a sister who does! ) I much prefer someone who is smart enough to understand they can't possibly know everything and there is something to learn from everyone and every experience.

Then we get into the technical questions. If someone is too quick to answer and can't expand on it, that is a signal their knowledge is only from books. People who really do have experience take their time and try to give me examples as well as the answer.

------------------
    Susan Gates
    Susan Gates

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by digits71:
    i.e. I had a person who came in exactly on time (not a moment to spare), all flustered, not dressed appropriately and only wanted to talk about money. They didn't give me the impression that they were interested in the work or in being a team player.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey!!! That person was me! Traffic was bad so that's why I arrived "exactly on time". You didn't like the way I was dressed?

just kidding.

------------------
    droman26
    Software Tester...and proud of it!

[This message has been edited by droman26 (edited 08-31-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I agree 100% with PJCoviello, also i want to add, i donot like any person thinks he knows every thing, if i asked him how much do u know .Net, if he said i know it 100% i wouldn't hire him, if he said i know 80% and welling to learn more, i would hire him. That just an example.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

In addition to those items mentioned, I like a confident person. Someone that is not intimidated by the interview process. I also like someone with knowledge of software development. A person with blinders on, with no idea of what is happening outside his or her department can be a turn off when interviewing.

Oddly, I also like a person that knows what they want as far as salary. The wishy-washy answers when asking about salary requirements make it difficult to know where we stand.

Again, these are things I look at when choosing between the final two or three, after filtering out the bad apples.

Last years StarWest CD has a presentation by Kaner about this very topic.

------------------
    Michael S.

[This message has been edited by msnide (edited 08-31-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

i don't agree with msnide. There is a big different between a confident and being intimidated in the interview. Many junior applicants are very confidants in their selves but in the interview they sweat. I do understand that and donít take it as negative sign.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Attitutde Attittude Attitude .. technical expertise is not a big deal if the intervieweee has a good attitude in teamwork (get along with others), goal oriented, honest, and willing to learn. I personally don't trust interviewee's resume. Something that doesn't tells in the resume is that how well can you get the things done. Either you do it yourselves or convinced someone to do it for you. Both are important skills (assuming no one knows everything), however, no interviewer can really sees the second skill in the resume, convincing others to help you out when the job is beyond you expertise.

------------------
    ================================
    IBM Certified Database Administrator
    Sun Certified Java Programmer
    Oracle Certified Associate

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

E-Quality, I have to disagree. I think that technical expertise is very important. If I need someone to test a java app on Solaris, and you have been testing C++ apps written for WIN32, with no unix experience, I don't care what your attitude is. Maybe I'll offer you a position below what you think you should get, but you have to remember you don't have the skills I'm looking for.

Paul

------------------
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Paul,

I have seen people with high (claimed) technical skills passing all test cases and get caught after reviewing the logs that some test cases are actually a bug or failed.

People who doesn't know much usually put more intentions to learn (or quit), and someday he will perform as the one who claimed to be an expert in the resume and pretend like knowing everthing. Plus, QA usually gets a good help from developers or IT personnel if you go with a good attitude. Why? For example, QA should stay with the developers in reproducing bugs, rather than leaving the computer for the developer, and say here that's your job. Developer wouldn't see where is the QA wondering around since he/she doesn't have computer to use. I have seen this too, and I don't appreciated that. QA should shows intentions to know and learn, or at least stay with the developers in case they need more details.

I have also seen highly technical people have a hard time following a proper procedure especially test plan and test procedures. They tend to skip some procedures that they thought is not important.

Of course it would be great if that person really have what he claimed and with an excellent attitude towards testing.

By the way, what do you mean by testing Java in Solaris? Are you trying to say configuring Web Application such as Web Sphere, TomCat, WebLogic or code testing using JUnit? That would make a different whether to have a technical or good attitude employees.

------------------
    ================================
    IBM Certified Database Administrator
    Sun Certified Java Programmer
    Oracle Certified Associate

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast