Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

application of QFD

hi,
    Can anybody give me some idea where (i.e.what are the areas in Software engg ) we can apply QFD(Quality Function Deployment) and how ?

thanks
    A.Sridhar

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: application of QFD

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Anchoori sridhar:
    hi, Can anybody give me some idea where (i.e.what are the areas in Software engg ) we can apply QFD(Quality Function Deployment) and how ? thanks A.Sridhar
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is QFD? Are you talking Function Point Analysis?

------------------
    -- Jean
    (e-mail address removed for security)

[This message has been edited by Jeanj (edited 09-24-2001).]
    Jean James
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    I deliver what I promise, and I only promise what I can deliver.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Points for Confirmed Friends

The concept of QFD was introduced in Japan by Yoji Akao in 1966. By 1972 the power of the approach had been demonstrated and in 1978 the first book on the subject was published in Japanese. Unfortunately, for those of us who do not read Japanese, it was not translated into English until 1994 (Mizuno and Akao, 1994).

According to Akao (1990), QFD "is a method for developing a design quality aimed at satisfying the consumer and then translating the consumer's demand into design targets and major quality assurance points to be used throughout the production phase. ... [QFD] is a way to assure the design quality while the product is still in the design stage." As a very important side benefit, Akao (1990) points out that, when appropriately applied, QFD has demonstrated the reduction of development time by one-half to one-third.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Quali...=Google+Search

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Never heard of it. But it looks interesting. I wonder if there are any references to its use with small systems. Most of the biblio deals with large systems, which won't help me with my "internet time" developed apps.

------------------
    Susan Gates
    Susan Gates

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Well QFD is a TQM tool and has been incorporated by japanese in the automobile industry with great success.

As for its application in Software industry i recently found an article which promote the same ideas as of QFD in Software Engg.

This article can be found at
    http://www.stickyminds.com/sitewide....=2659&Function =DETAILBROWSE&ObjectType=ART

hope this would help
    shahzad

------------------