Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Shifting Priorities

I'm assuming that your offices are like mine where you have a very large client which has ever-shifting demands.

As a discussion point, how do you deal with "This is now your number one priority!" 2 hours later "Now THIS is your number one priority! The other can be done later." 2 hours later "When will the first one be done? IT is now your priority again!"

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Shifting Priorities

We kinda just go with the flow around here. I work for a large company that keeps "aquiring" other companies. When we "aquire" these other companies, we have to import their information and merge it with our information. Companies are being aquired often enough that the project priorities keep changing. I guess this is OK if it means more work and more job security.
    As far as for myself, I just make sure my hand is always in all the projects so I don't fall too far behind in my other responsibilities when something else becomes the main priority. That's just me...

------------------
    droman26
    "You hear that sound, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

We do the same thing. We just shift directions. For about a month I was working on three projects that were main priorities because they are revenue making products (we also make non-revenue making products). About three weeks ago all those products were put on hold, and I was handed another group of priority products. It just happens, especially with the speed at which a lot of companies attempt to work at. Like web companies, we want produts out the door in x amount of time, but one little thing like contract negotiation(sp is wrong) can stop a product dead no matter how important the company thinks it is.

------------------
    Doug
    I figure if you have the courage to get out of bed in the morning, then how bad can the day be.

Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'd document/record everything.
    So-and-so told me at 10am that THIS is priority number 1.
    So-and-so came back at 1pm and told me that THISOTHERONE is now priority number 1.

Next time so-and-so comes around to change the priority again, just show your document or anything you recorded in your video/audio equipment.
    If the higher ups are involved, the e-mail system would be a good way of communicating the priority changes that's going on too frequently.

Oh and another thing digits...
    Stop wearing that shirt that says
    "Super Do-er, Will Do Anything at Your Command" will yah?
    Once in awhile, it's nice to watch that TV Show "Fight Back"...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Gilbert (edited 08-03-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Expaning on Gilbert's comment...

I think that it should be a "Best Practices" to record what is going on with various projects anyways. If you ever have to drop a project for another one, having some type of record of what you were previously working is there for the asking (or to hand off to someone else).

Saving emails of who said what.. well I like to cover my @$$ anyways, so there it goes =-)

------------------
    It Depends.