Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Minimum Functionality Required for Release?

I'm the Director of QA at my company and am currently involved in a major project.

I'm curious if any of you have requested a statement of the minimum functionality required for release of a project, from a Product Manager or project team before?

Basically, I'm telling everyone on the team that this is important to know so that testing can be prioritized appropriately. The Product Manager is saying, "Why can't we see what doesn't work just prior to release and make the decision then?". I'm saying, "No, we should be able to make it now and I need to know, in order to prioritize the testing."

Thoughts, opinions?

Thanks,
    Steve

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Minimum Functionality Required for Release?

In many companies, the Product Manager would already have specified this in the requirments.

Some places I have worked assign a rating to each feature in the Requirements doc. Something like - "Must Have", "Should Have" and "Nice to Have".

Here, anything agreed upon as "Must Have" could be considered "Minimum Functionality".

This helps to direct the Development and QA activities to ensure that all the Must Haves get done before the product can be considered readdy for release.

------------------
    - Joe (strazzerj@aol.com)

[This message has been edited by jstrazzere (edited 07-27-2001).]
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Also, whatever ur strategy is, it should be clearly defined in ur test plan. This can be as:
    1. Minimal Functionality Tested (Inclusions and exclusions)
    2. Maximum Functionality Tested (inclusions and exclusions) ..
    this would let the clietn know what the testing strategy is, in terms of time constraints and resource allocations

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by qaguru:
    I'm curious if any of you have requested a statement of the minimum functionality required for release of a project, from a Product Manager or project team before?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure I've requested acceptance criteria. Very seldom have I gotten any though, and very seldom have I been able to convince the people writing the requirements that this is necessary. Well, I can usually convince them of that, but they don't know how to get the customer to give that info to them, so they just drop the ball. It is then left to QA/QC to develop that acceptance criteria, which we publish to the analysts and developers. And still they usually decide on their own to leave some essential piece of functionality out because it would take too long, or it's too difficult right now, or...

Sorry, no answers for you. I'm curious how other organizations manage it.

------------------
    Susan Gates
    Susan Gates

Points for Confirmed Friends

If priorities are not assigned to each requirement, the testers will use some other method to determine what goes in and what doesn't. This will often be based on test effort; if the test effort is extremely large for one portion, that may get dropped to make room for everything else.

This is a bad way to do business. Which functionality goes in, and which does not should be a cost-benefit decision. Some code may cost more to develop and test, but it will also generate more revenue (or reduce expenses.)

------------------
    Thanks,
    Tim Van Tongeren

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

We call it "exit criteria" and if Product Management won't give it to me, I propose it. It's usually a mix of functionality and quality metrics.

Example: 90% test coverage. No known critical bugs. 50 High bugs. Unlimited low bugs. All "must have" functionality included and tested.

I just came up with this - it's not real for any of my products , but it's the same thinking.

Paul

------------------
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I guess we are lucky, everything in our requirements are required for the product. Of course there are always small exceptions (developer having problems including it, running out of time to add it: - and unless it is an essesntial part of the application they will wait till the next release to add it, otherwise dates get pushed back). When we get the requirements document, thats what we create the test plan with. If it is in that document it gets written up. If it is not, we do not test it.

------------------
    Doug
    I figure if you have the courage to get out of bed in the morning, then how bad can the day be.

Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I always require Acceptance Criteria to be put together and mapped back to the design and the requirements. That covers what the system "Needs" to do.

During testing, every bug that is found is prioritized based on it's severity. Our standard or minimum requirement for exit is basically...No Production bugs, these are classified based on the impact they would/could have in a Production environment and no critical (no work around) Non-Production defects. There must be a 90% success rate for all remaining bugs.

The remaining defects/bugs remain as such after implementation into production with regular updates on the fixes and full regression done on the maintenance releases.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

When I was a product manager I would go through the requirements and the test plan and develop a more detail list of minimum criteria for the product with QA. I like to work closely with QA because they tell you what the developer doesn't tell you and often find things no one thought about. I think PM should spend regular time with QA.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by qaguru:
    I'm the Director of QA at my company and am currently involved in a major project.

Basically, I'm telling everyone on the team that this is important to know so that testing can be prioritized appropriately. The Product Manager is saying, "Why can't we see what doesn't work just prior to release and make the decision then?". I'm saying, "No, we should be able to make it now and I need to know, in order to prioritize the testing."

Thoughts, opinions?

Thanks,
    Steve

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Recommendations (short list) for future:
    Firstly, it is okay to allocate feature/function according to a robust pre-determined build plan. It sounds like the Product Manager may not be aware of the benefits gained from adhering to such a process. I recommend such a build plan where the following criteria are met:

1) Most critical and complex components are developed and built first, with the necessary components that allow test engineers to touch them - the human interface.

2) Each build must include the human interface and new features/functions relative to preceding builds. These features/functions should be less critical than those delivered in preceding builds. Fixes should also be included and documented in a version description document and/or release notes.

3) The build schedule should allow the test engineers adequate time to test the new features/functions, validate fixes, and execute any necessary regression tests.

The Product Mgr. should be able to tell you what will delivered in a particular build with sufficient advance notice. With good planning, these items can be identified and scheduled earlier in the development life-cycle.

This is just a short blurb and I hope it has added to the help in the previous posts.!

------------------
    JP

[This message has been edited by jpensyl (edited 07-30-2001).]