Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Training Suggestions

Our company has, in an attempt to handle attrition, increased the training budget.

I came into QA through a back door (Grad student in linguistics) so all programming, database, Unix, etc., was acquired "on the job."

where might you all suggest starting a more formalized trained backgrounds? java? Perl? ASP? (We can take any classes at University or at Sun - since it's just down the street)

Just looking for some suggestions to write up and justify.

thanks in advance

-kip

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Training Suggestions

Is this just for QA/QC people? If so, I highly recommend some general testing courses offered by SQE (www.sqe.com). This has been more effective for me and my teams than any vendor or package specific training.

------------------
    Susan Gates
    Susan Gates

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

In all honesty, I want to stay away from "package" or "application" classes. I'm trying to make sure the team is not only qualified for this job, but has some strong carrer tracking in mind.

(we are backwards here. QA & 'testers' are treated as an entry into other jobs... so if that's what the company wants, I want to be able to help my team move along. But I still have to justify the classes for a QA environment.) The joy of politics in a small company.

thanks!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kiyape:
    QA & 'testers' are treated as an entry into other jobs...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is not right. I realize you are just working with what you are given, but this type thinking by your company is a bad idea.

It's probably one of the top mistakes start-ups make. Which, on the bright side, means others have gone through the same situation you are about to. On the other hand, it's best to learn from others mistakes, not our own.

OK, now that I ranted, I agree with WAR, given the circumstances you mentioned. The best thing you can do is to ask those in QA "what do you want to be?", then see how that fits with the company. I would suggest any database courses (generic or specific). Not only would they be helpful to QA but just about any other career. As for languages, I don't think that learning a new language would hurt anybody, but may or may not be of use to QA in the short term.

However, what if your guys want to pursue a career in QA? Some will, I'll bet. I get a lot of information from training conferences. I highly recommend it. Or StarWest or East. STQE and others have conferences that will benefit your company and that are in your area. I know I've seen Denver listed.

------------------
    Michael S.

[This message has been edited by msnide (edited 07-25-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

So you want to stay away from "package" classes but yet you say you can take classes at Sun? What may I ask in your mind is the difference?

Any non-university setting that teaches courses is a package. They are selling you knowledge they have about other peoples or there own products.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I typically look at the techonolgies (SQL? C++, HTML?) used in the product(s) being made by your company and list them out.

With the list in hand, you can start researching training methods best suited for each one.

For example, to train up on HTML you may only need to purchase a good book for each person and dedicate time for discussing each chapter. To train up on SQL you might be better off sending the team out for more formal training (in a class) or instead bringing a SQL guru in to provide training.

Good Luck!

------------------

[This message has been edited by WARollo (edited 07-25-2001).]