Thread: Perfection

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Perfection

The perfect software? Probably one that the spec is written for after the program is created. Therefore the program meets all requirements in the spec and therefore nothing is a bug.

"Yes sir, you are supposed to get a blue screen when you attempt to print. Look it says so right here on page 24, paragraph 3 of the spec."

------------------

Points for Confirmed Friends

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by digits71:
    If you could design the 'Perfect' software or web design company that emphasized quality - how would you do it? Where would QA be involved?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <ul>[*]QA would be involved in all aspects of production from requirements analysis to deployment, just like it's supposed to be.[*]An iterative development process would be used on all non-trivial projects.[*]I, personally, would have veto authority on everything. [/list]

------------------
    Charles Reace

Software Testing (n): 1. The art of trying to increase your confidence in a piece of software by finding everything that is wrong with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'm not looking for the prospectus for your brain-child business here Just if you had the power, what would YOU implement in your company? One or two examples would be nice

One of the things that I would DEFINATELY implement would be initial production proposal teams with a member from each department. They would be responsible for understanding what the client wants, designing the functional specification, design elements, etc.

I've heard developers screaming about how design is calling for an impossible interface, design screaming about how development has butchered their design, QA screaming that there's no documentation, etc.

This way, we would all be happy - BEFORE design, code, test cases, ANYTHING begins, we would all have input

*sigh* Well, a girl can dream

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

All people coming in the door go through a boot camp during which they learn

A) Software engineering basics/topics
    B) Quality/testing topics
    C) Marketing/Business Topics

Each employee in the tech area goes on rotations of 1 month in each area to learn what its like on that side of the fence.

With an appreciation of what others in your company do, it is less likely that folks will have attitudes or second guess the importance of your role. That second guessing is the number one cause of inter-group problems I've seen.

Some companies actually do this. It makes sense if you have the resources and time to do it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by icruiser (edited 07-24-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Actually, the perfect software might not be bug-less, but when a bug is encountered, it would automatically log it, backtrack to find out what caused it and send an electronic notice to the development team.
    It would then inform the user how to exit the error and continue and that the development team would be in contact shortly.

BUT.. errors usually say..
    compile_not
    line1234
    45:45:898...
    ERRNO A-(89)
    FATAL

Then the dreaded blue screen or whatever.
    Ah we all try..

------------------
    -- Jean
    jeanj_73@yahoo.com
    Jean James
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    I deliver what I promise, and I only promise what I can deliver.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Perfection

If you could design the 'Perfect' software or web design company that emphasized quality - how would you do it? Where would QA be involved?

This is your chance to tell us about the "if we only had *this*, it would be perfect".

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Wishful Thinking!!!
    Ever heard that thing "Nobody's perfect."?
    And when nobody is perfect, there is just no way somebody can write a "Perfect" program.
    As good or popular as the applications from the software giants (Microsoft, Oracle, IBM, etc.) are, they still have bugs in them. The best Chess programs in the world today that have been in serious studies, development for the last 20 years, still has no chance to dethrone the World's best Human Chess Champions. They keep getting closer and closer but, Kasparov and company still wins!

"Perfection"...wow! this sounds like one of the guys I used to work with, who tells the same story over and over that goes like this: "David and I wrote an application with 10,000 lines of Pascal code and it only had 2 bugs in it.". And if you ask him "Well, who tested your application?", guess what his answer is? You're right -- "David and I tested it." duh...well of course I should have known that already. This guy always think he's perfect that everytime you talked to him about a bug you found, he'll say "Did it crash the system? If not, then it's nothing.". He's a perfectionist alright (i guess) until the day his wife left him and a year or two later his employer fired him.

There's just too many variables involved. Just when you think it is safe to say "perfect", one of the users/customers would come up with something like "it would be nice if..." making your stuff not perfect anymore. You just can't satisfy everyone since each one of us has different taste, different feelings. So, what might be perfect for you (as in your boyfriend ), may not be perfect for Julia Roberts.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Gilbert (edited 07-24-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Geez Digits - you certainly conjure up the profound. Hmmmmm....
    "You" and "Perfect" imply humans with perfection. Since we can't go there, I'll offer this as my opinion:

"Perfect" software should require no QA process. Perfect software to me would be software that is created by thought. Mr. Spock's touch would be required for this. The thought-based software would of course be based upon human thinking which is flawed. Therefore, QA would really be psychiatry. "This software is hyper-active - I therefore prescribe Ritalin."

"The perfect web-design company that emphasized quality..." Well, it seems that the company would be perfect and one would only need to validate that the product reflected the design.

How would I "...design the perfect web design company that emphasized quality?"

The short of my answer:
    The management team would require CQE/CQA/CSTE and take a lie detector test to verify that they believe in quality and will always give it the highest priority knowing that the long-term benefits will be fruitful. For the actual work, I would emphasize teams and have extensive cross-training. I would also have a technical career path that leads to the top. END the short of it!

I would insist that everyone be involved in qaforums.com and wear the BetaSoft shirt on Fridays.

------------------
    JP

[This message has been edited by jpensyl (edited 07-24-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Man, they give Digits a day off, and this is what she comes up with.

When the customer comes in and says, we want a program that does X, Y, and Z, have a sitdown and discuss what X, Y, and Z are, with QA involved. This is commonly known as a JAD session. This is the beginning, where most of the what the bloody thing's gonna do is discussed. If you can get QA involved at this point, and stress requirments, specs, documentation, you've got a good shot at keeping QA's role highlighted in the SDLC.

Give's us a really nice test plan.

I'd next use my magic wand to make developers unit test. And like it.

Send in the testers!

Then, of course, developers would recreate every bug on the report, and if they couldn't they'd dig around to try and make it happen.

------------------
    Jordan Gottlieb
    Qualitech Solutions, Inc.
    jgottlieb@qualitechsolutions.com
    Jordan Gottlieb
    Senior Consultant, Orasi Software
    Twitter: @JG_QA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Since perfect is not possible, how about close?

Seriously, the one thing I would do that would have the most effect on the quality of a system, any system, would be to make prototypes required in the requirements phase and usability testing done right then, before developers even see it, so they can't say, "Well, that's not possible" or "Nobody would ever want that functionality". Then make the developers stick to whatever the customer says will work for them (based on the prototype).

------------------
    Susan Gates
    Susan Gates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast