User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interview

Points for Confirmed Friends

Interview

I have more than 4 yrs experience as QA, most of my experience is webtesing without using any testing tools, but i have learned some of the tools from my readings, now every time i go to a job interview they want me to know more than 10 testing tools at the same time, there is no way u can really satisfy the interviewer, what should we do? should we just lie and say YES we know that and that, if we will be honest we will never get a job!!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Interview

Although you don't state specifically what tools you refer to I will assume you mean automated tools.

I think for the most part it depends on your background - if you have experience in programming I would admit you have had no formal training with the tool, but that you could pick it up quickly due to your experience.

Failing that, choose a major tool vendor and take their training courses.

I do agree in embellishing my resume slightly, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I was an expert in C++ when I have never seen it in my life!

Hope this helps,
    David

------------------

Thanks David for your reply, yes i meant testing tools, but if i took some courses in some testing tools to get a job i should get all of them, because every job required differnt tools, and every day there is new tools come out to the market, so we should study them too :-)
    yes i used to say i know that and very good in that in my resume..until one day i had interview and they made me take a test, like a real test in WinRunner scripts, and i was so shy because they knew the the truth :-)..so since then i started to state only the truth in my resume, but it seems very hard to get any job if you always state the truth :-)

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Two things:

First, the truth is good. Anytime you put something on your resume, you have to back it up. And most places consider falisfying a resume or lying to get the job a terminable offense.

Second, to know 10 different tools isn't hard. You can probably name the big 3 (Segue, Mercury, and Rational) and come up with 10 tools between the three of them. Proficiency is another story. And taking those courses on your own may be a bit costly, especially if you don't live in a city that has training. Now if you live in a city like Atlanta (Mercury and Rational have training centers there), then you'd be lucky.

------------------
    Jordan Gottlieb
    Qualitech Solutions, Inc.
    jgottlieb@qualitechsolutions.com
    Jordan Gottlieb
    Senior Consultant, Orasi Software
    Twitter: @JG_QA

I agree with u about knowing the major three and come up with other 10, but usually ask howmany years of experience you have with this and with that, and when i say i donot have a real experience but i know then proficiency from my reading, i LOSE the job, they force me to lie :-) BTW i live in Toronto.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Dishonesty and deception are easily detected in interviews.

I recommend that you take a course in one of the leading automation tools or programming in 'C' or VB.

Regarding interviewers seeking out experience in 10 tools...

It seems to me that this is an open door for you to take charge of the interview and show off your skills by asking questions of the interviewer such as:

1) Which tools are you using and maintaining?
    2) Do you have a testing framework in place?
    (This is where you can really help out since a solid framework should precede automation.)
    3) What if I were to help you with a framework and get automation training on the side? Do you have a training program or compensation plan for training such that I (you) could get up-to-speed on your preferred tools?
    4) Are your automated scripts well-documented? I can be a big help with getting them documented. This is an indirect way of training. I could couple that with OJT.

...and any other questions you can think of that demonstrate that you know what you are talking about.

Thoughts...
    a) Perhaps the department with this open position may be using only one tool.
    b) Ten tools? Might some of them be dustware? Or is this a large company where many departments use automated tools? This might explain the number. It doesn't seem to be efficient.
    Good luck!

------------------
    Jim Pensyl

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Why not educating the interviewer that with your experience (real experience) in one or more tools you are perfectly qualified to quickly pick up on a new tool.

The problem with these tool centric approaches is that the tool itself hardly makes any difference as long as the methodology is sound. Now if they are looking for a tool expert and you do not have that particular knowledge right away, try to find out how they are currently using the test tool, I bet you that you can pinpoint several points in their approach where you could help to improve. With that you are showing additional value.

As a test manager having interviewed scores of potential testers and having seen hundreds of resumes, I typically do not care about the brand of testtool people used. As long as they had exposure to a tool and have a really good idea where and how it fits and how you can really leverage the tool, I am quite happy.

Interviewing is a game where quite often the interviewee is in a powerless position, but as long as you understand that is just a matter of perception. Present your strengths and show that you will be a great addition to any team and that you will quickly tackle that little matter of getting up to speed with tool X,Y,Z. If your quality and insight is not recognized then it's not a good place to work. That's the attitude to you need to take to the interview and put into your resume and cover letters.

Good luck with your job hunting.

Roland

------------------
    Roland Stens

Thank you very much Jim & Roland..
    one quetion for you Roland since ur a QA manager, if ur to interview me for a new job, and i told u during the interview that i know WinRunner (for example) what kind of questions u would ask me to confirm my knowledge?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sunlight:
    Thank you very much Jim & Roland..
    one quetion for you Roland since ur a QA manager, if ur to interview me for a new job, and i told u during the interview that i know WinRunner (for example) what kind of questions u would ask me to confirm my knowledge?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would have questions on how you used the tool. What you think the challenges are using this tool. If you can compare it to any other tool. How you solve having scripts for an app. that still changes. How you make your scripts maintainable. And if I was looking for a toolsmith, I would ask about a possible solution for a real problem.

As you can see, I am not so much interested in the skills with the actual tool, but more with how you apply the tool.

My experience is if people have really no clue about how the use of the tool can add to the overall test process, they are not a good addition to my team. Typically pure toolsmiths bring a developer mentality into the test team and quite often disregard the overall objectives.

Oh yeah, If you lie and I find out, you are a goner no matter what. I think lying is utterly despicable and unprofessional.
    Presenting yourself in a favorable light and stressing your strong points is very acceptable. Even pointing out some of you weaknesses can be very positive, because it indicates that the candidate knows himself and is willing to work on the weaknesses.

With 4 years of experience, I still consider you a junior, although in the Web age you are almost considered senile. I do not expect juniors to be perfect, any junior who presents himself like that will be met with a significant amount of scepticism from my side.

I hope this all helps, maybe my approach is different from the ones you find out there and all this is just a waste of your time.
    Anyway, this is what I believe and do.

Roland

------------------

[This message has been edited by rstens (edited 07-06-2001).]
    Roland Stens

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rstens:
    With 4 years of experience, I still consider you a junior, although in the Web age you are almost considered senile. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And doesn't it frost you to get a resume for a "senior tester" just to find the person has extremely little experience? I conducted a phone screen a while back with a person who had 'senior tester' on her resume. Within 10 minutes it was obvious she had never tested *AT ALL*. In her last job they gave her the courtesy title while she managed the test group! I like to ask pretty basic questions in an interview and my first warning flag went up when she got a little snippy with me. She said "why do I need to know that". This was in response to a question about her test experience across platforms (PC, Mainframe, AS400, etc.). When I explained to her why I felt it was germane she then said "Why don't you just tell me what you need and I'll tell you if I can do it".

Wow - can't believe it's been almost a year and that phone screen can still get me started. Sorry gang

------------------
    Mel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast