Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Developing/creating a new QA dept

hello all you QA gurus.....

I've recently joined a company that is in need of a QA dept. Being brand new to this area (my background is implementations) I am looking for some guidance as to how to create this dept. as smooth as possible.

Thanks!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Developing/creating a new QA dept

Hi

According to your specifications, previously there is no department and you have to open a new Department.

It depends on lot of circumstances like How big is your company.
    What is the Strength you want to keep in QA Department.
    What are all the positions you want to Recruit.

For ex: There is a small company may be you need a manager and TeamLead and few Testers. To carry on the work smoothly. The total strength can be of 4 to 5 members. It varies from company to company again.

Hope the answer makes sense to your question

------------------
    Vinod
    vinod@sqatester.com
    Vinod
    If you want a high quality software system, you must ensure each of its parts is of high quality. by Watts S. Humphrey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hello,

This is addition to previous reply.

If your organization is large enough then you can have no. of persons are approximately 10% of no. of developers, however this is not a fixed rule.

You can have different divisions as QA & QC
    with subdivisions as Manual testing and Automation testing.

You can also have divisions as Functional Testing, Load testing, Regression testing & Compatibility testing etc.

You can also have divisions as pre testing, testing and post testing. Pretesting involves analyzing the application and writing test scenarios & test plans, Testing involves actual testing of application, Post testing involves Defect reporting and windup.

These are just suggestions, actual implementation can be according to decisions of your management.

Thanks
    Kuppili
    KMK

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi there,
    It was a GREAT Idea to open such a group discussion. I think that like you there are many more that are facing the same problem of opening a new department.
    I'm facing the same situation, and even worse, I've inherited a QA dept. that wasn't working or to be more specific - it worked in the hallways :"check me this and that"....with one person over many programmers....
    In my case, I first evalutaed all the organization activities, to try and analyze all the QA activities that are needed handling.
    Than I went to A very basic project managment and resources plan. The next stage was Manpower according to my assesments. and the final stage is picking up the right tools to do the right thing.
    Ofcourse there are many ways to solve the problem, but it depends on many issues like: budget, managment support etc.,
    If you'll need more assistance, just ask, and I'll be happy to assist you.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shana:
    I've recently joined a company that is in need of a QA dept. Being brand new to this area (my background is implementations) I am looking for some guidance as to how to create this dept. as smooth as possible.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Shana,

When you say 'QA' do you mean just the quality assurance aspect? Or will your department include test as well? Are there any other responsibilities such as CM?

------------------
    Mel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

More and More companies are finally realizing that they not only *should* have a Quality Assurance Department, but that they MUST in order to survive in today's market!

Assess the needs of your organization, what type of development shop are they? What technology are they utilizing? What are the requirements of the projects? What are the success criteria?

All of these will help to point you into the right direction. Prioritize your list and execute them. Be sure to research anything that you are unsure of BEFORE you execute it. The easiest way to lose management’s support is to make a hasty and incorrect call.

Keep management in the loop at all times. Instilling a QA mentality into a company is no easy feat. You will need their support more than you know, you will need to continue to create buy-in from them and the rest of the team on a continuous bases.

This forum is a great tool - be sure to go back into the archives to read previous threads. There is also a 'links' tab in the upper right corner of this screen with other sites that may be of help to you.

Here are 2 more that you may find useful:
    http://www.philosophe.com/ http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/index.html

Be sure to check back here on a regular bases! You’ve got a long road ahead of you, so the “Books” link should also be one of your favorites. Any books purchased directly from those links help to support this forum, so please use it! Best of luck!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you all so-o-o-o much for your ideas and input. I do have a long road ahead of me, but I feel more confident having all of you out there to guide me along the way! You haven't heard the last of me yet!

Shana