SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Points for Confirmed Friends

Is it really too much to expect

I am getting sick of people asking me to critique/review things for them, doing a thoroughly researched and professional job and getting zero feedback (frequently not even thanks for the effort).

Firstly I don't get to know whether my input was (un)helpful or any kind of appreciation for how it was received.
    Secondly I don't get to learn anything more about the process.
    Thirdly I think it is downright disrespectful and rude.

Maybe I should prepare some sort of review feedback form of my own and send it out with my response in the future.

------------------
    GUI automation is GUI automation. It is not testing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Is it really too much to expect

Your topic says it all... "is it really too much to expect..." Often it is our expectations that make us angry and resentful, not necessarily the actions of others. You have choices! For example:
    1. Don't do it anymore. Spend time on something that is more rewarding.
    2. Discuss the process with the person ahead of time. Get buy in/commitment to give you feedback. (Figure out what feedback you want out of it first.)
    3. Let go of your expectations. Do it because you enjoy it and/or think it is the right thing to do. You never know what might come out of it, but don't expect anything to come out of it.
    4. .....
    Heather

------------------

yeah yeah you're right.

2 is certainly something I will do next time.

With regard to 3 I guess one doesn't normally have such an expectation, but this happens so consistently in my shop that as has been shown, I am getting p**d off with it.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wooks:
    I am getting sick of people asking me to critique/review things for them, doing a thoroughly researched and professional job and getting zero feedback (frequently not even thanks for the effort).

Firstly I don't get to know whether my input was (un)helpful or any kind of appreciation for how it was received.
    Secondly I don't get to learn anything more about the process.
    Thirdly I think it is downright disrespectful and rude.

Maybe I should prepare some sort of review feedback form of my own and send it out with my response in the future.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you talking about here at QAForums, or on the job?

If here, you can specifically call for feedback (or thanks, if that's what you seek), when you post your answer. Or, you could just hold back and not provide an answer at all.

If at work, you can ask for feedback directly. "Was that helpful?" is often a reasonable thing to ask.

Wooks - are you angry like this often?

Best of luck.

------------------
    - Joe (strazzerj@aol.com)

[This message has been edited by jstrazzere (edited 06-19-2002).]
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Oh I'm talking about on the job.

Perhaps I should revert to being a contractor and then there would be no cause to get p***d off at being treated like one.

Perhaps soon I will have no choice.....a mixed blessing indeed.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Many times people merely want a bit of recognition for the time and effort they spend doing things. A simple "Thank you", or "Good job" can go a long way. If no feedback is provided whatsoever it often seems like your work has dropped into a black hole and sometimes that is true. People are often not cognizant of the need to provide feedback, negative or positive. Some are even embarrassed by compliments and others too fearful to provide negative feedback. We should all remember to provide better, more constructive feedback.

------------------
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the most discoveries, is not "Eureka!", but "That's funny..."
    -Isaac Asimov
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the most discoveries, is not Eureka!, but That's funny...
    -Isaac Asimov

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hopefully I don't just start rambling on here.....

Have you talked about it with your higher ups? I am making the assumption you have, but I was thinking about sending out a survey to find out how we are doing and what we can improve on since there is a lack of feedback or rather constructive critism. (I find it hard to evaluate our QA department at times) Sometimes you just need to sit down with a person (i.e. the project manager) a couple weeks after a project is done and ask questions like have you recieved any bugs/errors after the release has gone out or were they satisfied with the service that was provided. I have been trying to get in the habit of complimenting and offer constructive critism more as of late.

------------------