SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Points for Confirmed Friends

Working with mavericks

Do you consider yourself to be one? (yes)

How do you handle working with them, or how do people handle working with you.

------------------
    GUI automation is GUI automation. It is not testing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Working with mavericks

'Maverick' in what sense?

------------------
    WinAmp. Llama Tested. Mother Approved.
    Jordan Gottlieb - Keeper of the QA Forums FAQ
    Qualitech Solutions, Inc.
    jgottlieb@qualitechsolutions.com
    Jordan Gottlieb
    Senior Consultant, Orasi Software
    Twitter: @JG_QA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Maverick as in "loose canon," "diva," or HR problematic? Or are you considering the definition of maverick in the sense of providing an unconventional approach, point of view, or being on the rough-hewn edge of tool usability?

I guess the question boils down to unprofessional versus unconventional? I might fall into the latter camp given some of the environments I work in and how I have approached some problems (particularly in the load/stress arena). I might even fall into a third definition for maverick as a "professional gun for hire" to complete a difficult job.

If the maverick is professional in approach then there shouldn't be much difficulty in working with them. If the approach to the problem is unconventional then there usually is a challenge in education as well as politics to ensure that all are educated as to how the requirements are met with an unconventional approach and that previous approaches to the problem are respectfully recognized.

------------------
    James Pulley
    nospam.jpulley@nospam.itestsolutions.com
    iTest Solutions, Inc
    704-243-2854 (voice)
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Put us to the test, skilled expertise is less expensive than you might imagine.

Twitter: @LoadRunnerBTH @PerfBytes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

It would depend on your perspective!

I guess QA / QC people could be seen as a maverick from the perspective of a developer. Although our goals are the same (a quality, client satisfing product), our methods are completely different.

If ensuring that an efficient, effective and successful process exists would be cause to call me a maverick, name-call away!

------------------

[This message has been edited by digits71 (edited 07-05-2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jpulley3:
    Maverick as in "loose canon," "diva," or HR problematic? Or are you considering the definition of maverick in the sense of providing an unconventional approach, point of view, or being on the rough-hewn edge of tool usability?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would consider the former to be a cowboy and the latter to be a maverick.

However many would not make that sort of distinction and lumber them in the same category.

I am particularly interested in how people perceive and view working with especially managing mavericks and whether they take care to distinguish them from cowboys.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Too many people like to think of themselves as mavericks, when in fact they are just toublemakers - present company excepted.

Sometimes mavericks are worth the trouble - in which case I work with them and try to give them the space and support they need.

Sometimes they are not worth the trouble - in which case I get rid of them.

There are all "types" that a QA Manager must manage. Mavericks are just one of the "types".

------------------
    - Joe (strazzerj@aol.com)
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Joe,
    As usual, you've put that excellantly. (are we EVER going to disagree )

If I understand the meaning of maverick for this conversation, I would think the the coder who never takes notes, gets a little glassy eyed in meetings then spends 15 hours straight at his keyboard whilst drinking diet coke and eating cold pizza and chocolate bars which get his old sweatshirt all icky, falling asleep at his desk for 3 hours then turning in THE most beautiful application you could dream of, is a maverik.

There's no doc, his code isn't commented, standard? what's that. But he's the original "Extreme Programming" guru and we all need him OR HER. to help us get it done in a pinch.

When I run into those people, I do everything I can to help put layers of protection around them even if it means hanging around asking questions and being the scribe for his code doc, and specifications checking. I have been told that I'm wrong in doing this, others have thought it was a good idea. I think there are so few of those types of coders (scripters too) left in the world of the SANE, that we're lucky to be on a team with one.

These people are of the ilk who not only wrote IN assembler, they WROTE assembler.

So, how wrong am I?

------------------
    Jean James, CSTE
    J.James Consulting, Inc.
    Jean James
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    I deliver what I promise, and I only promise what I can deliver.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeanj:

If I understand the meaning of maverick for this conversation, I would think the the coder who never takes notes, gets a little glassy eyed in meetings then spends 15 hours straight at his keyboard whilst drinking diet coke and eating cold pizza and chocolate bars which get his old sweatshirt all icky, falling asleep at his desk for 3 hours then turning in THE most beautiful application you could dream of, is a maverik.

There's no doc, his code isn't commented, standard? what's that.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's not a maverick. He's a cowboy.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jpulley3:

I might fall into the latter camp given some of the environments I work in and how I have approached some problems (particularly in the load/stress arena).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think an element of maverickness is inherent in successful load testing.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeanj:
    Joe,
    As usual, you've put that excellantly. (are we EVER going to disagree )
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree. I thought my post was only adequate.

------------------
    - Joe (strazzerj@aol.com)
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast