Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Internationalization Testing

The background:

I am a QA person and have been leading a project for functional testing of a business intelligence tool. I now need to perform internationalization testing of the new version both on an English locale and on Japanese. The software is Windows based and the database is MS SQL Server

My understanding:

The information I have gathered from various sources has given me some idea of what I need to do. What I have understood is
    1. I need to have machines on which the language version (English / Japanese) software - OS, Database, other software.
    2. The testing is different from the 'usual' functional testing, in that the checks are more on the GUI and not hte functionality
    3. I need to pseudo code the externalized messages, etc and check them in the English version.
    4. The testing on Japanese will focus on testing of cultural information, etc.

However, I am a bit confused. I have been seeing many references to 'font set'. Have I missed something big?

Help Required [ I hope to get lots of it ]

1. Web sites
    2. Other references
    3. Any other help

Thanks in advance.

Dipali

------------------
    Dipali Rege
    M.C.A., M.C.P.
    Warm Regards,

Dipali

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Internationalization Testing

First, there are two parts to what you are doing. The first is internationalization. This refers to the ability of your product to operate in various locales. Are error messages and informational data hard coded or are they (properly) in a file that can be tailored to the locale? Are screen titles and other such things localizable?

Localization refers to creating a data set for the intended locale - Japanese, English, Swedish, whatever.

Some languages require different fonts to display. Asian languages such as Chinese are "double byte", meaning it takes, well, two bytes to display each character. You have to install the double byte fonts onto an english-operating-system machine to test the Chinese (or Japanese?) localized version. Of course, you wouldn't have this problem with a Japanese operating system version, since it comes with the correct fonts.

Because of double byte concerns, it isn't just the GUI that needs testing. If you are storing user names (of course) and other data in a database with specific field lengths, you need to look at increasing them (doubling them) to accomadate the double byte characters.

Just my two cents.

Paul

------------------
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Paul. That was concise. What is the difference between Internationalization and Localization. My understanding is that in i18n one tests that all translatables have been externalized into data files and are picked up by the program. In Localization, one checks the formatting, etc on the GUI. Is that correct.

BTW, I shall be testing on a machine with Japanese OS, etc.

Thanks,
    Dipali

------------------
    Dipali Rege
    M.C.A., M.C.P.
    Warm Regards,

Dipali

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yes, I think you're on the right track. As an example, one of my products is internationaled, meaning we have all the GUI data is in files that can be modified, but we also had to modify the data dictionary to accomodate the field lengths. Then, we had to make sure we sorted lists correctly in several languages, including some double byte languages. We don't have any approved localized versions other than english - we internationalized for a few oem customers who are localizing on their own.

Paul

------------------
    Paul